Author Topic: Margaret MURPHY of Clones (b1878 approx)  (Read 2797 times)

Offline connorsinoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret MURPHY of Clones (b1878 approx)
« on: Sunday 13 December 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »

Looking for any information that might help me find a birth or baptism record for my husband's great-grandmother :

Margaret MURPHY, born approx 1878 in Clones, Co Monaghan - daughter of Patrick MURPHY (b approx 1828), a farmer or cattleman..

She had a brother called Bernard (possibly he was her twin brother?) who we believe was murdered (possibly a political murder?) in Ireland. We think she was one of the youngest children in a large family.

Margaret & her father were living in Liverpool by 1900.

Any help, suggestions, or leads VERY welcome,

Claire Connor

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret MURPHY of Clones (b1878 approx)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
You can search the Irish Civil Index on familysearch

There are a few possible matching around the right time in the Clones registration district. If you find a promising match you can order certs from the GRO - see :  http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm  They details they requires are the name, registration district, year/quarter, volume & page number.

some births from around this time are included in the IGI at :  http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp  this may be useful to try to find possible parents names. A search of this show a possible birth in Ballybay - which is about 25km east of Clones

Birth of Margaret Murphy    
 Date : 22 Jun 1878      
 Place : Ballybay, Monaghan
 Father: Patrick Murphy
 Mother: Mary McNally Murphy

note that Ballybay town is in a different registration district than Clones - it's in Castleblayney District

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline connorsinoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 09 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response.
I had found the Ballybay baptism on IGI but I think this is too far from Clones to be certain.

Murphy is such a common surname.  but all further ideas or connections are always welcome.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
there are two possible matches on civil index in the Clones district that might be worth following up :

Name: Margaret Murphy
 Registration district: Clones
 quarter / year: Apr - Jun 1879
 Volume: 3 / Page: 145

Name: Margaret Murphy
 Registration district: Clones
 quarter / year: Jan - Mar 1879
 Volume: 3 / Page: 145

since neither of these seem to be included in the IGI extracts, the only way to find out more details is to order a few certs from the GRO (http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests