Author Topic: Jenkins and Martins, Flintshire  (Read 2818 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Jenkins and Martins, Flintshire
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Flintshire Rootschatters,

I have three vexing questions.  If anyone can throw any light on any of them, I will be deeply grateful!  I'm in Australia so rather removed from being able to visit in person!

1.  I think that my ggggrandmother, Agnes Jenkins, may have come from Hanmer or environs.  She married Thomas Martin at St Marylebone in London in 1802.  Does anyone know if Jenkins was a family name which existed in this area, and therefore if it would be worthwhile searching for her somehow?

2.  I think that her son, Edward Martin, my gggrandfather, may have died in Hanmer in 1873-1874 or thereabouts.  I also know that the church at Hanmer burned down in the 1880s and that the relevant burial register is missing.  Is there any other way I can check for his death in the area?

3.  I know that Edward's son the Rev. William Lockwood Martin, my gggreat-uncle, was the first Vicar of St John the Baptist, Bettisfield.  In the 1881 census he was living with his widowed mother Mary at Arrowry, Hanmer, while being Vicar of Bettisfield.  Is there a good way of contacting the church to see if I can get any details about his incumbency there?  Should I write a letter, and if so, to whom?  And is there a way that I can check what sort of dwelling Arrowry was?

Any information at all will be most welcome!

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins and Martins, Flintshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Yep,Oz is rather far removed from Hanmer.I have very little knowledge of the area and its inhabitants.I know Arowry is a hamlet not too far from Hanmer. I have done a search on ther freebmd site and come up with the following Edward Martin in the deaths---1874 MAR 6a 526.Sorry I cannot be more helpful.No doubt someone else will be.Good luck.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Oops,missed out the Reg District---Ellesmere. ::)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 05 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Llwyd,

Yes, I had found that one!  That is part of my circumstantial evidence for a family connection to Hanmer (I discovered that Hanmer is a subdistrict of Ellesmere)!  Taken together with the fact that Edward's widow and his son William were living at Arrowry, Hanmer, Flint in 1881 - and the question of why William would have gone there, if there was not a family connection...

Edward is very elusive.  I have already ordered and received one death cert. for an Edward Martin which is not the right one.  I am looking for a bit of corroborating evidence before I order this one.

Llwyd, thank you for taking this trouble for me.  If anyone can shed light on any of my three questions, I will be enormously grateful!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland