Author Topic: Cox family of Curbridge - Completed  (Read 13595 times)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cox family of Curbridge
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph,

Thanks for confirming that for me.  I have put those dates onto my tree now, so the family is building slowly.

I spent the afternoon going through the IGI looking for Peter Cox's baptism and marriage and although I have found a lot of Cox's going back to 1560, I still haven't found a Peter.  I wonder if he was called something else, like my father in law who was baptised as William James Cox but was always called Pete(r).  History repeating itself no doubt.

Thanks for your help.
Elizabeth

Offline fiddlypb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 August 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just come across this thread in some research I'm doing and thought you may be interested.

James Cox (son of John and Elizabeth) who married Rosanna, moved to Hampton Fields, Minchinhampton in Gloucestershire.  In the 1930's he was visited by an American folk-song collector, who noted down two songs (of one of which he said "learnt when I was a boy at home") and a Mummers Play (which he said he had learnt when he was "at Curbridge" from the older mummers).  This material is in the US Library of Congress and a copy at Sheffield University - their online catalogue for this is
http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/carpenter/ead.jsp?afn=CoxJim

He was 82 at this time, and apparently completely deaf.

Anyway, I could probably get you copies of the typescripts that Carpenter made and email them to you, when next I visit London.  Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 August 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to Rootschat and many thanks for your interest in my post.  Sorry I could not reply before but we had a storm and I lost my computer access, then it was the modem and although I could see there was a reply from you, frustratingly, I could not open it!!

It was well worth waiting for as it is our family and it is a brilliant find, the sort of thing that does not come along very often.  I would dearly love a copy of the transcript  if it is no bother, I would be very grateful.

I have moved to another part of the family tree but now my interest has been renewed in this part.  It gives me a good place to start to find his death date knowing he was still alive at 82.  He moved to Minchinhampton in his teenage years, probably when he started work, so he must have been quite young as you say when he learnt the words.  The deafness is of interest too as another member of the family was deaf from childhood.

Thanks again.

Elizabeth

Offline fiddlypb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 August 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

Glad you found it of interest.  It may be several weeks before I get to London again - but I'll do my best!

It looks as if James moved to Minchinhampton when he started work - in 1871 he's listed as a Boarder in the household of William and Sarah Phelps, whose daughter, Roseanna/Rosina he then married on 25 Dec 1871.  I have James's date of death as being 1935 in Stroud (but I'm not 100% sure on that one) - so Carpenter only collected the material from him a year or so before he passed away.

All the best and hope you're over the storms!

Paul

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 August 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am very happy to wait as long as it takes.  Genealogy is not a race and it is better to arrive at a steady pace with lots of interesting notes  than to rush through just collecting names.

I too thought that the 1835 death entry was the right one and I have put that on my tree. As you say, he must have died very soon after the interview, so that was a bit of luck for Carpenter as well as us.  I also found all the other details you offered up so we agree on that too. 

I don't think we are due for any more thunder storms this week but the temperarures are set to rise to 39 degrees C on Sunday and no rain until next Thursday, if we are lucky.

Take care and thanks again.

Elizabeth

Offline martinrocz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cox family of Curbridge - Completed
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi KN...

I have just registered today after seeing your postings regarding the Cox family in curbridge... I too are searching back through the cox family tree, and seemed to be stuck on John Cox born 1804 in Witney.....I have followed him back from langstone, Havant,but I cant get back any further than the census records of 1841...

Any help or info where i go from here would be a great help....

Regards
Martin Cox...