Author Topic: Looking for Bridget Spiegelhalter of Maesteg  (Read 10193 times)

Offline spiegelhalter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Bridget Spiegelhalter of Maesteg
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 February 10 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kyrenia

I would be interested to know your connection to the Spiegelhalter's of Maestag as I have been trying to link them into the Spiegelhalter tree which was researched by two of my distant cousins back to the early 1600's in the Black Forest in Baden Germany . We are fairly certain that all the Spiegelhalters who were clockmakers/ jewellers and came to the British Isles in the 19th century are related somehow.
By coincidence my great uncle George Spiegelhalter known as Halter (1902-1985) born in Dalston, London lived nearby in Skewen near Neath for most of his life. He worked for BP. 

Regards
Spiegelhalter
Spiegelhalter
Ashton 
Chambers
Hockey
Foulser
Steer
Robbins
Longhurst
Mepstead
Payne
Whitcroft
Middleton
Harwood
Huttson
Millsom
Maddin

Offline Greenwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Help Please!
Does anyone have any information on a Bridget Spiegelhalter she is thought to of died in the 1950's in Maesteg but she doesen't show on  BMD index also no trace of her husband Emil.
Thanks for any information or help

Hi!  A friend guided me to this forum because she read this thread and knew I'd be interested :)

My name is Meryl [nee Spiegelhalter] and I live in Maesteg.  Emil and Bridget were my great uncle and aunt.

Emil had 3 brothers and one sister: Arthur, Arnold, Hector and Gladys.

Hector and his wife Glenys were my grandparents and Hector had his own watchmakers/jewellers shop in Maesteg.

Gladys never married and had no children, she died a few years back in Liverpool, but Arnold is still living in Furtwagen in the Black Forest with his wife Louise and their 3 grown up daughters.

Emil's son, also called Arnold, is living in Ireland at the moment with his girlfriend and her son.

Hector and Glenys had 2 children, Arthur and Myra.  Arthur is my dad.

Hector and Glenys, *Emanuelle and Hilda [*I think, I'll have to check] and young Arthur Leo are buried in Maesteg cemetary...all in the same grave.

If you want any more information, let me know and I'll ask my dad  :)

Offline Greenwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 May 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hector and Glenys, *Emanuelle and Hilda [*I think, I'll have to check] and young Arthur Leo are buried in Maesteg cemetary...all in the same grave.

Update:

I just checked with my dad and he said that Emanuelle and Hilda died and were buried in Furtwagon [Black Forest]....and their names are merely mentioned on Arthur Leo's and my grandparent's headstone.

He also told me that Bridget was Emil's first wife.  Her maiden name was Bridget Walsh.  Bridget also had a son ~ Tommy Walsh.  My dad thinks he was in the RAF.

Bridget is definately buried in Ireland somewhere, but nobody seems to know where, maybe Emil's son Arnold would know.  Arnold is currently living in Gallway. 

Like I said before, if you need any other information on the surviving family members, ie: Arnold [Emil's brother] and Arnold [Emil's son], let me know  :)

Offline CHICAGO LINDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Spiegelhalter Family
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 June 10 06:00 BST (UK) »
I  am a descendant of the Spiegelhalter/Speigelhalter family from the Black Forest through my grandmother .
Her grandparents (Bauerle & Duffner) went to England @ 1865 and worked for a watchmaker in Meadway, Rochester, Kent.
In 1871, they moved to Chicago, USA and became saloon keepers.

My Immigrant ancestor: Quirin Bauerle born 1835  son of
7 Teresia SPIEGELHALTER b 1810 & Valentin Bauerle b 1811
   6 George...1784-1849
      5 Severin 1751 in Waldau-1816,
       4 Christian II 1727-1797
         3 Andreas 1672-1740
            2 Christian I 6-Jan-1642 to 19-Jan1687
                .... b.(Bauer am Rhine), Viertaler, Neustadt, Baden
                .... d. Rainhof, Waldau, Schwarzwald

1 Bartholemew SPIEGELHALDER b: Bef. 1622 &
                                       Barbara GANTER

Offline spiegelhalter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 June 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

I am Betty you have been in contact with Julian my 6th cousin once removed.
I descend from Andreas Sp the younger brother of Severin his grand-daughter my 3xgt grandmother Maria born 1822 Waldau was your 3xgt grandmother Theresa's 2nd cousin. Which makes us 7th cousins

I posted a message on this site because Bridget is a descendent of  Emmanuel Spiegelhalter who settled in Maestag ,South Wales in late 19th C  I am trying to find out if and where he fits into our Spiegelhalter tree.  I have since received a response from Greenwoman but until now due unforseen problems not had time to get back to her.  But I will now make the effort. 

I have your e-mail address so will contact you on that in future.

Spiegelhalter
Ashton 
Chambers
Hockey
Foulser
Steer
Robbins
Longhurst
Mepstead
Payne
Whitcroft
Middleton
Harwood
Huttson
Millsom
Maddin

Offline CHICAGO LINDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 June 10 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am away from home...I'll check my  info when I get home...
Ich bin ein Nachkomme der Spiegelhalter von der Schwarzwald. Mein Ur-Urgroßvater
Quirin Bäuerle geboren 1835 seinen Vater: Valentin Bäuerle geboren 1811 Seine Mutter: Teresia Spiegelhalter geboren 1810 Nachkomme
George...1784-1849
Severin 1751 in Waldau-1816,
Christian II 1727-1797
Andreas 1672-1740
Christian I born 1640-1687 (Bauer am Rhine)

I am a descendant of the Spiegelhalters from the Blac k Forest.
My Immigrant ancestor: Quirin Bauerle born 1835
His Father: Valentin Bauerle born 1811
His Mother: Teresia Spiegelhalter born 1810
descendant of
George...1784-1849
Severin 1751 in Waldau-1816,
Christian II 1727-1797
Andreas 1672-1740
Christian I 6-Jan-1642 to 19-Jan1687
.... b.(Bauer am Rhine), Viertaler, Neustadt, Baden d. Rainhof, Waldau, Schwarzwald

Bartholemew SPIEGELHALDER b: Bef. 1622 & Barbara GANTER

More later, Linda

Offline CHICAGO LINDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 June 10 02:43 BST (UK) »
PS  7th  cousins...Wow That's amazing !!!

Offline jessam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 February 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I am Betty you have been in contact with Julian my 6th cousin once removed.
I descend from Andreas Sp the younger brother of Severin his grand-daughter my 3xgt grandmother Maria born 1822 Waldau was your 3xgt grandmother Theresa's 2nd cousin. Which makes us 7th cousins

I posted a message on this site because Bridget is a descendent of  Emmanuel Spiegelhalter who settled in Maestag ,South Wales in late 19th C  I am trying to find out if and where he fits into our Spiegelhalter tree.  I have since received a response from Greenwoman but until now due unforseen problems not had time to get back to her.  But I will now make the effort. 

I have your e-mail address so will contact you on that in future.

Bridget was not a descendant of the Spiegelhalters,  (she was married before  Emil and her name was Walsh) she came  into the  Spiegelhalter family when she married Emil Spiegelhalter ,  they went to live in Ireland where Bridget died and is buried in Limerick,  Emil then married again to Catherine,  and they had a son Arnold who now lives in Galway.   Emil and Catherine have also now died.

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 February 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Is there a possibility that they changed their surname when war broke out because it sounded too German. This was quite a common thing to do. Remember how the Royal Family changed their German name during WW1?

The only other explanation for them disappearing off the radar is, they could have moved outside England and Wales. But you've said that you know they died in Maesteg. So, the change of name could be an option