Author Topic: WESTON/WESSON  (Read 6302 times)

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WESTON/WESSON
« on: Tuesday 15 December 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm particularly looking for any further links to Weston or Wesson from the Nottingham/Derby/Leicestershire areas.  This line seems to have started in St Mary's Nottingham, spread to Belper, Derbyshire then on to Wigston in Leicestershire.  More details at: www.antill.org.uk - please click on the surname link as there are over 2000 different surnames in this tree, mostly around the East Midlands but also include many counties from Devon to Dumfriesshire and across the pond to USA and Canada, and over the water to Oz
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline Lino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WESTON/WESSON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 12:34 GMT (UK) »
hello. there was a dolly wesson who lived in melton mowbray circa 1920-1985. she had a son, stanley the window cleaner who never married and at least one daughter who did but i can't remember her name. 
hope this helps.
lino

Offline ChristineInHerts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
The geography suggests there is a link but the names I have are not in the list on the site to which you have given a link...

John WESTON m Rhoda BINDLEY (or BINGLEY) 29 Sep 1778 Wigston Magna, Leicester, [IGI-submn7813235]
1] dtr: Rhoda WESTON b 1778-9 Arnesby, Leics
1.1] g-dtr: Martha WESTON b 4 Jun 1803, bap 8 Jun 1803 St Margaret, Leicester [C034613]
Martha WESTON, o. t. P. of St Mary, Nott'ham, m 27 Nov 1826 St Nicholas, Leicester George BENNETT (o.t.P.) [personal 8113910; PR#392]
witnesses: Thomas BENNETT (signed) & Susannah BENNETT (signed)
2] son: Edward WESTON bap 20 May 1782 Arnesby, Leicester [C034331]
Edward WESTON† m Fanny VALENTINE 2 Mar 1819 St Margaret, Leicester, [M034611]

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/about-leicester/lordmayorcivic/roll-of-mayors/1800-1899-roll-of-mayors/1840-1849-mayors/1845-edward-weston

I have put the names I have deduced to be my direct ancestors into bold.

Rhoda appears to be the sister of the erstwhile mayor of Leicester (based on 1851 census), by which route I have deduced the parents.

There are a couple of Wigston Magna IGI baptisms (Matthew 17 Apr 1783, and Mark 10 Mar 1785) which might fit into the family, but about which I'm rather doubtful.

Christine
BENNETT in North Kilworth / Lutterworth
WESTON in Wigston / Arnesby / Leicester

Offline Lino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
hi there. it's probably a different family then because their name was definitely wesson. happy hunting.
best wishes lyn

Offline ChristineInHerts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
hi there. it's probably a different family then because their name was definitely wesson. happy hunting.
best wishes lyn

I recall reading - and I think there's support from the censuses - that WESTON and WESSON were fairly interchangeable.  They may well be different families, but if you rely on the different spellings as evidence of that then you may miss out.

I have a family where GARDNER/GARDENER/GARDINER/GARNER/GARNAR were all the same name.  In my husband's tree there's an even more bizarre one: WAD(D)LING/WED(D)LING/WAD(D)LETON/WED(D)LETON!  And there are others.

Christine

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information, especially about the Lord Mayor of Leicester.  Last year I made contact with a Weston descendent, now living in the USA.  Many years ago he had been in touch with an uncle who said that the family included a Mayor of Leicester.  I haven't been able to find/confirm a link.  Most of my Westons stayed in the Nottingham area, but one moved via an iron foundry in Belper then to Wigston.  The Antill web site has no links to living people, so there are more names in the tree if you think it worth a PM.  The start of the Weston line has both Westons and Wessons, but more consistenly stayed with Westons later on.  Recent investigations in another line brought up Costelow/Costlowe/Costello, and Bentley/Bentty/Rattly so guessing the misspelt name is definitely an art.
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline ChristineInHerts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Most of my Westons stayed in the Nottingham area, but one moved via an iron foundry in Belper then to Wigston.

That really looks interesting to me.

There seem to be links in my tree between Arnesby, Wigston, Leicester, and Nottingham, in connection with this family... which ties in with what you are saying.

I'm also interested that there's a ROBINSON connection in the Nottingham tree on that site.  The trouble is that that isn't a terribly rare surname, so anything there could be coincidence, but I do have a possible IGI Lutterworth marriage (which conflicts with the Bishop's Transcripts) which would tie in neatly as possible parents for Martha's husband, George BENNETT: Thomas BENNETT (or MOUNT, if you go by the transcripts - which spoil my theory completely) married Susannah ROBINSON in Lutterworth in July 1804.

It would be good to be able to tie up that link with the mayor, though!

Christine

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm being dense here (not unusual) but did Martha marry out of her birth parish of Leicester St Margaret?  The marriage has her "of the parish St Mary Nottingham"  Does that mean that the family moved/lived in Leicester AND Nottingham??
If anyone is interested, I have some photographs of Weston & Langham gravestones in the Holy Trinity churchyard, Lenton (including Edward and Mary Ann).  Edward's death certificate date 17 December 1874 pronounced the cause of death as "old age"  He was 75
Some parish records are so difficult to read that information has had to be taken from the Bishop's Transcripts.
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline ChristineInHerts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm being dense here (not unusual) but did Martha marry out of her birth parish of Leicester St Margaret?  The marriage has her "of the parish St Mary Nottingham"  Does that mean that the family moved/lived in Leicester AND Nottingham??

Not as dense as I feel about it!  I go back every so often to re-read the record, because it doesn't make sense to me, either.  But I really am looking at an image of the parish register (for St Nicholas, Leicester), and it does say that Martha was o.t.P. of St Mary, Nottingham.  But it also fits other records of her for her to have been baptised in Leicester (St Margaret's). 

It does reinforce the idea that there is a connection between Martha and the Nottingham clan.

Christine