Author Topic: Wisbech Particular Baptist Church, Hill St Headstone lookup  (Read 8997 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Wisbech Particular Baptist Church, Hill St Headstone lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Google "Baptist Chapel Upwell" As this is close to Wisbech, the right date, and had its own burial ground. I wonder.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Right, I've got my family history material in front of me. I spoke too soon earlier about the relationship of Samuel Lafone to Mary Lafone Dawbarn -- she was his niece by marriage.

Mary Lafone Dawbarn (1.3.1814 Liverpool - 21.2.1866 Wisbech) was the second of nine children of John Dawbarn (7.7.1789 Liverpool - 12.8.1849 Wisbech) and Jane, née Ellison, otherwise Hurry (c1772 Litherland, Lancs - 18.7.1826). She first married Francis John Hurry (1778 Great Yarmouth - 1804 Liverpool) and had two daughters with him.

Jane's sister Mary Seacome Ellison (12.9.1775 Liverpool - 19.9.1812 Liverpool) was the first wife of Samuel Marchant Lafone (29.3.1770 Liverpool - 30.8.1856 West Derby). They married on 10.6.1794 at St Mary's, County Road, Walton on the Hill, Lancs. Samuel subsequently married Sarah Hurry (d. 22.2.1838), sister of Francis John Hurry, the first husband of Jane Ellison.

Mary and Jane had at least three other siblings. Their parents were Thomas Ellison, of whom I know nothing other than that he was an upholsterer when he got married, and Martha Seacome (1749 Liverpool - 29.1.1813). They married on 4.3.1771 at St Mary's aforesaid.

Martha Seacome's parents were John Seacome (1.7.1725 Liverpool - 18.3.1779) and Martha Ellison (1719 Lancs - 29.11.1783 Liverpool), married c.1748. As I say, I know nothing more about Thomas Ellison. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a relative of the latter Martha Ellison.

This is all rather confusing when written down like this. I can send you a report from Family Tree Maker if you're interested, which will give descendants and lines from siblings too, if you're interested -- please drop me a personal message if you'd like this.

How do you fit in? I'm always intrigued to know of new connections to the Dawbarns, as it's such an unusual name.

Offline greenfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

Can't send PMs yet as this is only my second posting!

All the info tallies with mine.Mary & Jane did have other siblings:Cordelia(1791-1848)unmarried,Harriett(1786-1860)m.Joseph Hunter Randles,and Seacome Ellison(1774-1854).
Seacome Ellison was quite a well known writer,who was particularly fond of his niece Cordelia Dawbarn as she looked after him in his old age,and was favoured in his will (along with lots of other Dawbarns & Lafones).

Although Samuel Lafone & his 1st wife Mary Ellison married in 1794,there seems to be quite a gap of 8 years until their first surviving child Anne(1802).As they were such prolific breeders,it seems strange (even allowing for the odd infant death) that no earlier children are recorded.
This is why I was enquiring about Mary Lafone Dawbarn,and wondered whether she might have been S Lafone's grandchild by an earlier daughter(dates would fit).

I am descended from Samuel & 2nd wife Sarah Hurry through their last born Henry Lafone(1830-1917).

Am currently trying to find out how the Goldings fit into all this, so a family treemaker report would be useful.Many thanks.

I have quite a few pictures of Lafones if you are interested.

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenfarmer

That's given me some more to go on with Mary and Jane's siblings, thanks. I knew quite a lot about Seacome (and have read his account of escaping as a prisoner of war during the Napoleonic Wars) but virtually nothing about Cordelia and Harriet.

The connection to the Goldings is, briefly, as follows:

Jane Ellison and her first husband Francis Hurry had two daughters: Martha Jane Hurry (1802-9.11.1882) and Frances Hurry (1804-10.8.1890). Frances died unmarried but Martha married a Mr Scott. She's a widow in 1851 and has no husband with her in 1841, so he probably died before then. I haven't done any research on this part of my family for some time, but when I last looked, I couldn't find anything definitive about Mr Scott from before 1837. There might be more available online now.

Anyway the Scotts had two (at least) children: Cordelia Ellison Scott (1823-11.1.1912) and John Scott (b. 1833). Cordelia married Henry Hunter Golding in Q4 1853 (he 1812-Q2 1886) and they had five children I'm aware of: Lucy E., Emily, Harriet Randles, Alice Hurry and Herbert R.

I'd be very interested in Lafone photos, plus anything on the sources of the info you have on Cordelia and Harriet Ellison. Have you traced the Ellisons or Seacomes back further than what I mentioned in my last post? I have scanned in a lot of very early photos (mostly 1860s/70s as far as I've been able to date them from clothing) of Dawbarns and relatives, and I think they include some Hurries and Goldings, and I'll pass these on if they're of interest.

Make some more posts, then we can exchange PMs and thus email addresses  :).

Offline Bricklewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
I came across this old thread between Green farmer and Fosseway in it you mention you have old photos of Lafone Hurry etc. I would be very interested to have some copies. We certainly may have been in contact befor re Mary Lafone Dawbarn by email.
I have uploaded lots of photos onto a website

Offline Genemum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My first visit on this forum so excuse newbie mistakes please! I am currently researching the Henry Hunter Golding tree. Goldings are my paternal family and I am very interested in the Cornelia Ellison Scott marriage to Henry Hunter Golding (1812 - 1886)previously mentioned in this thread. I am trying to find out what happened to their 5? children.
FosseWay may be able to help me? Many thanks.

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genemum,

It's ages since I've been on here... But yes, I think I probably can help. I have dates of birth and death for four of the five children of Cordelia and Henry (no death date for the youngest - but more info has become available since I last looked at this part of my tree). Two of them that I know of had children themselves.

In summary the kids are:

Lucy Ellison Golding 1854-1930, married Alfred Clay Abraham and had 5 children
Emily Golding 1856-1868
Harriet Randles Golding 1858-1936 died unmarried
Alice Hurry Golding 1860-1937 married Charles Edward Potts Antram and had one child, Herbert, who was killed in action in WW1
Herbert Richard Golding b1864 - the last record I have is in 1881, but I feel there must be more out there. Will have a dig and add anything I find.

I will send you a personal message with my email address. If you reply with yours I can send you the info that I've got.

Offline Genemum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi FosseWay
Many thanks for that, don't think I can do PMs yet as may not have done enough posts? But your update is a great help. Thanks.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi FosseWay
Many thanks for that, don't think I can do PMs yet as may not have done enough posts? But your update is a great help. Thanks.

Minimum to do PMs is 3 postings!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)