Author Topic: Churchyard of Hawick  (Read 7809 times)

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchyard of Hawick
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have discovered in the last few weeks that the Park names I mentioned in my previous emails are incorrect!!! 
Here is the correct info.
Mather Park (mygggggrandmother) b.15/10/1773 Ewes, Dumfrieshire, Sct to parents James Park and Margaret Tait.  James & Margaret were married 8/11/1770 Hawick.
I have been unable to find any other children born to James Park and Margaret Tait, nor have I found James and Margaret's births.
I can help with your William Park and Agnes Scott as I was researching this particular line, thinking that it was connected to mine.  It still may be, but there is no connection now, other than Elizabeth Rutherford marrying an Armstrong.
I will post another message under the subject PARK/TAIT to hopefully attract more responses.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi LEAHGR,
I also meant to say that unfortunately I don't have any photos of the PARK family, but would be very interested in photos you have of headstones.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline LEAHGR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirlbur,

I don't know that the headstone pic's will be any good to you if they are not on the same branch.  I have them for William Park & Christina Jardine, John Park & Maggie Little or Francis Park & Isabella Turnbull.  I can e-mail you any of these if you want them.  I live in Hawick so it's easy for me to access the cemetry if there are any more you would like me to look for.  I have become stuck on the William Park & Agnes Scott branch and cannot get any further up.  I really need to know who their parents were, or any other information you have would be brilliant.  Well done you on getting right back to 1773.  I wish I could find more information.  Cheers.

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the pics of headstones of William Park & Christina Jardine, and also Francis Park & Isabella Turnbull.  They are indirectly linked to my family, and Turnbull is quite prominent also.
How fantastic that you live in Hawick!!!  I know I have heaps of family members who died there.  I will have to go through my data and come up with some names for you.  What about Wilton?  Are you able to get there easily?
In regard to William Park and Agnes Scott - I have as William's parents, William Park and Agnes Elliott, but I'm not sure if this is correct.  Again, I'll have to go through what I have and see if there are any more clues.  At one stage I was trying to link the family with the Elliott name, and this is what I came up with, but since been proven an incorrect link.
Will get back to you with some names to look up in cemeteries.  Regards, Shirley

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi LEAHGR,
I have had a quick lookup and most of my lot seemed to have died in Wilton.  Names that are connected are Turnbull, Hart, King.  In particular Margaret Turnbull d.1880; James Walpole d.1881; Mather Armstrong d.1858; Francis Armstrong d.1903.

In Hawick - Richard Turnbull Armstrong d.1933.  He lived at 8 Wellington St.

It seems that a lot of the family moved to Lanarkshire, and other areas nearby.

Any help would be appreciated.
Shirley

Offline LEAHGR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirlbur,

How do I go about e-mailing you the pics?  Yes I can see both cemetries from my house.  They are called The Wellogate Cemetery and Wilton Cemetery.  Do you have a birth year for Agnes Scott?  Funny you should mention Wellington Street, that's were some of my family were brought up.  How weird!  Am I correct in thinking you live in Australia?  Which sites do you find your information on?