Author Topic: downhill farm/fawdrey family  (Read 5997 times)

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
downhill farm/fawdrey family
« on: Thursday 17 December 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
looking for information on fawdrey/fawdry family who lived at downhill farm 1750-?  in Hailey, Oxfordshire, england
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: downhill farm/fawdrey family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 09 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I have Hailey parish registers and surrounding areas. Will be in touch later as sI have to go to work this morning. But there a quite a few Fawdry and Fawdrey people on there.
More later.
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Shepherd & Middleton Oxon
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
thank you for any help you might have.  I do know that a Daniel Fawdrey was born there in 1810 then immigrated to the usa around 1834.  I am interested in when they might have first lived there, and when they finally moved from the farm..  Marlene

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I have found a James Fawdry a farmer from Hailey he married Jane Wilkins on 25/5/1771 at St Mary's Church Witney. Hailey is only about 2 miles from Witney.
More later. Pauline
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
It looks like this is the ones you need. James Fawdrey a farmer from Hailey married Hannah Harris at St Mary's church Witney 29th May 1792.
These are the children I have found with the above parents.
William 2/9/1792
George 15/2/1801
Dinah 26/9/1802
Hannah 15/4/1804
George 27/3/1808
Mary Ann 5/3/1809
Alice 18/2/1810
Joseph 2/8/1812
Charlotte 31/1/1819

Hope this helps a little.
Mary Ann married Joseph Pratley 6/7/1825 St Mary's  church Witney.
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Was this information any help?
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
yes this was great help, i believe the james who married hannah harris is my relative.  i am looking for where my ancestors may have been buried, cant find many old cemeteries around the hailey witney area where they located.  thank you, marlene

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 March 10 00:49 GMT (UK) »
also i think they may have orginally come from france, find the first fawdreys in england in the 1500;s, any info on this?

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 April 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
goblin,

Hope I can help a bit: have a look at this website: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/, and put in a search for Hailey, and of course there it is with Crawley not far away.

Now look at these three articles from the Oxford Journal, which should pin point your James Fawdry in the 1820's I can even see a Foxburrow lane, and a Downhill farm.

Advertisements & Notices .
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, December 8, 1821; Issue 3580.

HAILEY Allottment and Inclosure

I the undersigned Commissioner named in and by an Act of Parliament, passed in the second year of the reign of his present majesty, intitled “An Act for allotting lands within the hamlet or township of Hailey, in the parish of Witney, in the county of Oxford”, do hereby give notice that I have set out and appointed the following public Carriage Roads and Highways, through and over the lands and grounds intended to be divided and allotted viz:-
CRAWLEY ROAD:-One public Carriage Road and Highway, of the width of thirty feet leading from and out of Witney and Charlbury Turnpike Road near Foxborrow Barn in a westward direction to the entrance of a lane leading to the village of Crawley at or near a cottage and garden belonging to James Fawdry.

Dated this 21st day of November, 1821, HENRY DIXON

OXFORD, Saturday, Oct. 28 .
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, October 28, 1826; Issue 3835.

Wednesday last John Weaver and George Lammas were committed to our county gaol charged with having stolen from a lad, named John Palmer, several articles of wearing apparel. It appears that the above villains met the lad in an open field in the parish of Mongwell, stripped him naked, and carried away his clothes, after having forced a large pebble into his mouth to prevent him making an alarm-William Brain has also been committed, charged with stealing a hive of bees, the property of James Fawdry, of Hailey, of the value of 15s.

OXFORD, Saturday, Jan. 13 .
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 13, 1827; Issue 3846.
On Monday last, the General Quarter sessions of the Peace for this city were holden before W. E. Taunton, Esq Recorder and other magistrates and the following prisoners were tried and sentenced.
William Brain, for stealing a stock of Bees and bee hive, the property of James Fawdry of Hailey, 3 months, imprisonment

Tom