Author Topic: Where Do I Start - COMPLETED  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Do I Start
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 December 09 05:13 GMT (UK) »
William Edward Bell married Vashti White 1884 Nottingham. It is on here:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
you can have a try to find it for yourself.  ;)

If you purchase the marriage certificate both fathers names and occupations should be on there.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 December 09 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Also on freebmd are births for two Vashti Whites. The most likely is born in Hampshire in 1867. I see this ties in with the 1901 census. Purchasing her birth certificate will give names of both of her parents.

This tells you what to expect on birth marriage and death certificates:
http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Have a look on FreeBMD. You will need the reference numbers to order the certificates from the GRO in SOuthport. Only costs £7 and can be done easily online.

(PS. You are correct, it is much more rewarding to do your own research, but sometimes we just get carried away specially when the family is easy to trace and all the pieces fall into place)  :)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 December 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Vashti sounds a bit of an unusual name and has a Jewish connotation would we be able to find out about her parents?

Vashti is of Persian origin according to this site:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07p9/

:)
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 December 09 07:17 GMT (UK) »

Welcome Abdul

If you want to find out more for yourself the best free websites for searching births, deaths and marriages in the UK is..

freebmd.org.uk

There is also the IGI... International Genealogical Index, which has some good stuff on it, but you need to remember to always get proof by way of certificates......

familysearch.org

UK Certificates can be ordered online quite safely and reliably through the General Register Office in the UK.

The UK Archives are also online and sometimes you can find some good information there too...

nationalarchives.gov.uk

If you are willing to pay for your information, then there are some good UK sites as well.  A lot of people use Ancestry, findmypast and The Genealogist. 

And of course... there is us here at Rootschat......

Good luck and don't forget.... if you need help, just ask.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 December 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
15 Alban St
Nottingham
William E bell Head M 40 General labourer Nottingham
Vashti wife 34 Lace Clipper WinchesterHants
William I son 17 Errand boy Nottingham
Harriet daughter 10 Nottingham
BEATRICE daughter 8 Nottingham
Nellie daughter 7
George son 3
Harriett Mother in law W 66 Chairwoman Nottingham
RG13 3166 135 30

although William E gives his p.o.b. as Nottingham on earlier census he gives it as Farnham Surrey -but he lived in Nottingham

do you want me to go further back??

Suz

I would love you to go back a bit further. But how do you do it. I have subscribed to Ancestry but I only seem to get out what I but in. eg. If I put myself in I only get mothers maiden name.

The FreeBMD site I have only managed to get mother out and no marriage. So I have not advanced.

Thanks
Abdul Haqq
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 December 09 10:09 GMT (UK) »
As I detailed in PM to Abdul, George William Fletcher's parents are John William Fletcher and Nellie Johnson who married 1905 Grimsby (children Nellie Margaret b.1906, Alice b.1909, George William 1913 and Robert A. b.1917).

On 1911 Census John's age is given as 45 - b. waltham, Lincs.  but the only one I can find pre 1911 was a John William bc.1859 Waltham - as his wife Nellie was only 26 in 1911 had he maybe knocked some years of his age???

From Abdul's PM to me, Robert A. Fletcher married a Margaret and had a son Michael.   The only marriage  I can find was Robert A. Fletcher and Margaret Stainton married Mar.qtr. 1943 Lincoln who had one child - Michael R. Fletcher b. Mar.qtr. 1948 at Cleethorpes.

Thought I'd better continue this on the thread rather than PM so that other Rootschatters can help.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 December 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
MOrning Abdul

If you access ancestry you can search a number of documents but i would start of with UK census collection - dont be too exact with the info you type but i would suggest you type in William Bell b. 1861 Nottingham
hopefully then you wil be able to find him from possible 1861 but def. 1871-1901

as previously said certificates are need to confirm any details such as parents etc
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I am going to need to have a bit of discipline here. Whilst it might be good to see what ancestors was doing in the 15th century I think I better limit myself at this stage to no further than Grand Parents.
As I said I plan to come to the UK next year around June it might be good to locate living relatives. Getting certificates could add up so I will limit this to the most essential until I have funds released in April then see about filling the gaps.
So with this in mind I will listen to your guidance.

Abdul Haqq
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Vashti sounds a bit of an unusual name and has a Jewish connotation would we be able to find out about her parents?

Vashti is of Persian origin according to this site:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07p9/

:)

Yes I guess this was chosen because of the Vashti in the Bible. There is also a pop singer with this name.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics