Author Topic: Where Do I Start - COMPLETED  (Read 12502 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Re: Where Do I Start
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
As I detailed in PM to Abdul, George William Fletcher's parents are John William Fletcher and Nellie Johnson who married 1905 Grimsby (children Nellie Margaret b.1906, Alice b.1909, George William 1913 and Robert A. b.1917).

On 1911 Census John's age is given as 45 - b. waltham, Lincs.  but the only one I can find pre 1911 was a John William bc.1859 Waltham - as his wife Nellie was only 26 in 1911 had he maybe knocked some years of his age???

From Abdul's PM to me, Robert A. Fletcher married a Margaret and had a son Michael.   The only marriage  I can find was Robert A. Fletcher and Margaret Stainton married Mar.qtr. 1943 Lincoln who had one child - Michael R. Fletcher b. Mar.qtr. 1948 at Cleethorpes.

Thought I'd better continue this on the thread rather than PM so that other Rootschatters can help.

Annette

Annette you have it right. that would be Michael Robert. Like Hercule Poirot I have been using the little grey cells. I remember that both Michael and myself had a middle name after our fathers. I last saw Michael when I was about 20 so he would have been about 15. We had a fight, we never did get on, and contact was lost.

I have been trying to find if Michael is still alive and did he marry. All this has led to a blank. But then I get blanks all the time.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
MOrning Abdul

If you access ancestry you can search a number of documents but i would start of with UK census collection - dont be too exact with the info you type but i would suggest you type in William Bell b. 1861 Nottingham
hopefully then you wil be able to find him from possible 1861 but def. 1871-1901

as previously said certificates are need to confirm any details such as parents etc

Thanks, I will go back to Ancestry and see if I can improve the search skills.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
You can now search the BMD index on Ancestry on name basis so if you access the Marriage index 1916-1983 and type in Michaels name it may give you a marriage match and liekwise with his detah.

we cannot post it on here as he could still be living.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:52 GMT (UK) »

Welcome Abdul

If you want to find out more for yourself the best free websites for searching births, deaths and marriages in the UK is..

freebmd.org.uk

There is also the IGI... International Genealogical Index, which has some good stuff on it, but you need to remember to always get proof by way of certificates......

familysearch.org

UK Certificates can be ordered online quite safely and reliably through the General Register Office in the UK.

The UK Archives are also online and sometimes you can find some good information there too...

nationalarchives.gov.uk

If you are willing to pay for your information, then there are some good UK sites as well.  A lot of people use Ancestry, findmypast and The Genealogist. 

And of course... there is us here at Rootschat......

Good luck and don't forget.... if you need help, just ask.

Cheers
Karenlee

Thanks for all the advice and help.

I have a question that someone may answer. If we find parents can we know what children they have had?
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:56 GMT (UK) »
You can now search the BMD index on Ancestry on name basis so if you access the Marriage index 1916-1983 and type in Michaels name it may give you a marriage match and liekwise with his detah.

we cannot post it on here as he could still be living.

I will have another go at this but last time I scored a blank. My search skills are just not there yet.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
if you find a marriage that you think may belong to you - you can search the GRO index for births for children with the fathers surname and with the mothers maiden name as ........

if you have  alook at the 1911 census - if you can access it, this will tell you how many children a couple had and how many children are surviving.

if you look at a census return the household should be shown with relationship to head of the household given (after 1841) so son dau. etc sometimes son in law actaully meant step son same with dau.

if there is a large age gap this could mean that they had children which died inbetween the census years or it could mean they didnt have any in those years or posibly the father was away maybe to do with work

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 December 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
ps recent electoral rolls are avaiable on 192.com

you have to pay though

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 19 December 09 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Abdul,  It can be a bit confusing when you first start, like most of us, I learned what I know from people on forums like this.

Try this to get you started.  On Ancestry click on the search tab select search all records in the drop down menu, type in your mother, Beatrice Bell, born 1893, Nottingham.

The first record you see on the list should be the one I mentioned in an earlier post, another member's family tree with your family in it.  Use these names as a guide for your research as the tree owner may have got it wrong.  You can also contact the tree owner through Ancestry to compare notes.

The second record is the 1901 census with you mother living with her parents and siblings.  Vashti and William E are mistranscribed as Pashli and Wilbain E (this is something you have to get used to on Ancestry ::)).  You may be able to trace Beatrice's siblings forward and possibly find living relatives to contact

The third record is your mother's birth record.

Bear in mind the records you want may not automatically appear at the top of the list so scroll down or narrow your searches using the list on the left to search specific record collections.

Have you managed to find your mother's marriage to George W Fletcher yet?  If not, don't forget her name will be Fisher and not Bell at this time.  She is there on 1916-2005 index on Ancestry.

If you need any more help just shout, someone will come to your aid.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 December 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Abdul,  It can be a bit confusing when you first start, like most of us, I learned what I know from people on forums like this.

Try this to get you started.  On Ancestry click on the search tab select search all records in the drop down menu, type in your mother, Beatrice Bell, born 1893, Nottingham.

The first record you see on the list should be the one I mentioned in an earlier post, another member's family tree with your family in it.  Use these names as a guide for your research as the tree owner may have got it wrong.  You can also contact the tree owner through Ancestry to compare notes.

The second record is the 1901 census with you mother living with her parents and siblings.  Vashti and William E are mistranscribed as Pashli and Wilbain E (this is something you have to get used to on Ancestry ::)).  You may be able to trace Beatrice's siblings forward and possibly find living relatives to contact

The third record is your mother's birth record.

Bear in mind the records you want may not automatically appear at the top of the list so scroll down or narrow your searches using the list on the left to search specific record collections.

Have you managed to find your mother's marriage to George W Fletcher yet?  If not, don't forget her name will be Fisher and not Bell at this time.  She is there on 1916-2005 index on Ancestry.

If you need any more help just shout, someone will come to your aid.

Jool

Hi Jool and everyone in the group. I have some great news to share and get suggestions as to where to go. But before I do that I will comment about Ancestry.
Whist I logged into ancestry.co.uk I got ancestry.com.au. I think its like google it is country focused from your IP address. The problem comes when I try to look at the census it brings up all the Australian data. Otherwise the other records I am getting used to. I just can't see a way to filter out the Australian Census.
I did a search on George Bell mother's younger brother. Exited I brought up a Family Tree by a user 'simon_dix' it seem quite big what he has done. I have records now going back to a James Nash born 1776 in Stert, Wiltshire. There is a line of Merrett from All Canning in Wiltshire. All Canning has the parish records on line going back to the 16th Century.
I have left Simon Dix a message and hopfully he can contact me but in the meantime do you know if it is possible to D/L the tree from Ancestry for merging?
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics