Author Topic: Photo - anyone know anything about Masons?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Photo - anyone know anything about Masons?
« on: Friday 18 December 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
This photograph is of Samuel Haslam, of Bolton Lancashire -

any comments would be welcome!  I think I have identified it as the @order of the Buffaloes......but not sure!

Kathy
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Photo - anyone know anything about Masons?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Wonder what the significance is of the C and M on the collar and cuffs?

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Mmm C & M, I wonder if he was a Craft Master. He is wearing what looks like a Craft Master's apron. There are various levels and ceremonies that individuals work their way through. Perhaps he has just been initiated, or promoted by ceremony or election to the position.

Try Goggling it and see if that helps.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline didowells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Wells: George 1872, Frank 1840, William 1810
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
My husband is pretty certain it is a Masonic apron but would need to see the bottom of the apron to make sure.  Are we sure it is C and M and not G and M?

Di
Wells, Oxford, Watson, Denn:  Kent & Sheffield
Crowther, Bower, Slater, Bramley, Baxter, Quarmby, Craven, Shaw, Thornley:  W Yorks
Wilkinson, Hyson/Ison:  Derbyshire
Tomlinson, Wilson, Coward, Lockwood:  Nottinghamshire
Black, Mason:  Hampshire

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I think it looks more like a C.....it is also on the collar (if that is the correct term).  If it is Craft Master....I am not sure how he would qualify for this?

According to census' certificates etc. his occupation was given as a 'Clog Iron Maker' or a  'Tanner's Laborourer' at one point.  Hos wife ran a grocer's shop (she had it before they married) - and after she died we believe he continued to run it for a while.
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
From his census occupations he doesn't sound like a Free Mason, I would imagine that it is more likely he was a member of the RAOB, the Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
They have a website and contacts for the Bolton Province;

http://www.raobboltongle.org.uk/

I would be inclined to email them and see what help they might be able to give you. They might be able to tell you if they have an archive or if one exists.

I have found most people I have contacted in a similar situation when they know you are trying to 'trace' and learn about your family history are more than happy to help. The worst they can say / do is say no.

I am glad I saw this thread as I have never before heard of RAOB. They also have a national website;

http://www.raob.org.uk/

Hope they can and will answer your questions.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on. It would be great to learn more.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
For general interest here is what they are about;

http://www.raob.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=64

I think that would make Samuel Haslem a kindly and generous man in his community.

Philip

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 December 09 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies.....I emailed the Bolton contact for the RAOB yesterday - hopefully they will reply before too long!

I agree that usually people are really helpful !  Will let you know!

I live quite near to the RAOB muaseum in Harrogate - but it is very rarely open.....it may be worth making an appointment to go and see them.

~~~~~~~~