Author Topic: Methodist burial in Hay-on-Wye  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Angela DeRoy-Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Methodist burial in Hay-on-Wye
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Edwin Clarke, Primitive Methodist Minister, was buried in Hay-on-Wye in 1918.  Can anyone tell me whether there is a chapel in Hay with burial grounds around it?  Also I need an address for the municipal cemetery in Hay.

Regards
Angela

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Methodist burial in Hay-on-Wye
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I know very little,nothing even,of Hay but, seeing your request has been read 22 times and no one has replied,try the following site:
www.hay-on-wye.co.uk
All the best in your research................ :) :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 05 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thought Hay on Wye was in Herefordshire. I believe its full of book shops.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 05 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi CU

Hay is bisected by the border - my hubby was born in a house overlooking England and his grandfather walked 100yards to England to work each day!

Some of the family were born in England when they moved "down the road" and hence only half of the family was entitled to go to school in Wales!

Can be a controversial subject - but then, wars were fought over less!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline William Cook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 22:34 BST (UK) »
There is a municipal - at least I suppose its a municipal grave yard - its at the end of Church St on the Glasbury road out of Hay on the left - not that easy to spot as the litch gate is not that visible.

Hay is always listed as being in Brecnock  or Breconshire

Hope this info is useful

Bill
Cook, Alrdred, Aston, Ellard, Bennett, Spiller, Buckingham, Stephens, Mole, (possibly Probert), Kenifick
Sandy Beds, Cheshunt Herts, City of London, Maidstone, Nottingham, Hay Breconshire, Radnorshire, Presteigne

Offline Ian Moseley

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
I am just reading some of the old posts, and as I live in Hay-on-Wye and have done for the last 42 years I should know something about the area. All of Hay-on-Wye is in Wales the old county of Brecknock, now part of Powys. The part of Hay that causes the confusion is Cusop which is across the border and is in Herefordshire.

The parish church has a graveyard, it appears to be full, but the Hay cemetery is on the Brecon Road, and next time I go for a walk up there will have a look for you, it is only 100 yards from my house.

Regards,
Ian.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 10 03:38 BST (UK) »
My relations lived in Mill House in Hay-on-Wye I am sure on the opposite side of the road was a chapel on the junction of Broad Street and Wye End Road.
The former the property is now known as The Globe.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives