Author Topic: HOWSON - What County?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOWSON - What County?
« on: Monday 21 December 09 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi:
I am researching the HOWSON family.  George HOWSON  b 1790 occupation Gardener and his wife Jane b 1790 came to Ontario, Canada before 1851.  Their census information states born in England.  They had a son George HOWSON b 1820 England and possible Thomas HOWSON b 1818 England.

I'm not sure how to locate the County they came from.  I've looked up the name and it seems to be popular in Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire.

Any ideas how I can narrow down which County to search?
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOWSON - What County?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Possible?

http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=782350&qryID=eb390e1d-3364-40f2-befd-fe78047def49&pageSizeToggle=large
 - mentions Miss Georgianna Adelaide Howson, b. Belleville Sep 6 1851. Her grandfather was George Howson, who was born in Oxford, married Jane Lay, and came to Canada in 1832, where George was a market gardener. They had a son George b. 1820 d. 1853 and a son Thomas b. May 20 1818 d. May 19 1892.

I'd suggest finding the death records for George Sr (possibly the one d. 1879?), Jane, and Thomas, to see if these shed any further light on the subject.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jorose.  This is the right family.  Now I can start my search in England.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find George Howson's death cert as yet.  I have the burial record from ST. Michael's Church in Belleville.  He was buried 4 Mar 1879.

There is another Howson family with a George born the same year in Yorkshire, England and died in  Feb 1879 in Peterborough Ontario Canada, just to confuse matters.
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Unless you can find some evidence of at least a county and preferably a town or village where he came from, you have very little hope of making a positive connection with England.
Did he arrive in Canada before 1841 if not then he would be in the first available census, but even though Howson is a fairly rare name there was still 30 George Howsons in England. The IGI which gives a far from complete coverage of England also gives 15 births between 1785 and 1795,. So you have no way of deciding which, if any was yours.

Offline Pollyella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOWSON - Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi JJJ2

I am starting to look for the Howson family of Barton on Humber, Lincolnshire and wondered if you or anyone else has any info?

Pollyella

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Pollyella:

Sorry, I am no further ahead on the Howson family.

JJJ2