Author Topic: Brennan family of Finglas  (Read 33629 times)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 02 January 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking, maybe on the parish record of her marriage she may have put down her mothers name. It's not caledl for on the civil records but most of the parish records have a mothers name. There's a chance she knew more about her mother than her father.
I know it might turn out a waste. I emailed the parish to see if the record is held there.  Please god it's recent enough to be held local. 
If there is no answer over the next week maybe it would be worth a phonecall.

If that works out at least when you find a possible birth cert you'll be more sure of it being right.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 02 January 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that, that's a great idea and hopefully it will turn up something. 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
More bad news.
The church secretary looked up the marriage  and rang me back.
Both parents are down as being unknown. She'll post me out a transcription of that.

So I guess your back to pot shots with the register of births.
I'll say this even though it will make the heart sink, she could be registered as "female" O'Shaughnessy   (and all the varieties of spelling for that surname.)

It's not unusual to get ages wrong on the  census but with a child, well, you'd image she must have at least looked 7. I wonder could she have been older and looked young due to a bad start in life. There would have been a lot of unfed children in Dublin regardless of where they were brought up.
I'm just trying to predict which way the error of age would be most lightly.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 January 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that; it may not tell me exactly what i was after but its all research and its all wonderfully helpful; oddly enough i've spent some time looking at the witnesses to the wedding; seems there was a connection to the O'Brien family that i've got to look into.

But in the meantime, yes, waiting for what the registry office turns up, fingers crossed.

However, i've been making great progress in finding information on Francis Brennan's imprisonment in Mountjoy and the tunnelling attempts both into and out of the prison during the Civil War.
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline breadzer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 26 September 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
eh man i think we might be related...i made an account just cause i saw this

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 September 10 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hey, thanks for getting in touch.  Which family do you think you may be related to?
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline smecurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 08 October 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I only came across this thread tonight so I'm not sure if you are still interested . I am Patrick "Moss" Brennan's great granddaughter and I have been told quite a bit about the family history.

Terry Brennan's Wife Ann was known as Aunt Nan by my family. We have memorial cards here and I'm sure we have one for her somewhere around. So I might be able to give you birth/death dates , not 100% positive though but I will have a look if you still want information. I'm not sure how much I would know that would be any use to you but I might be able to give you some. Let me know...

Regards,
Sarah

Offline cuckoo80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
HI,

I have been researching my Brennan family tree and not getting very far.  I read through all of this earlier and then when I visited my aunt earlier she told me that we are related to the Brennan's of Finglas?? 

My ggrandfather was Michael Brennan born 1875 and was a railway labourer who lived at canalside inbetween binns bridge and Russell Bridge.  I don't know much more about his family.  My grandad (Ignatius known as Ned) used to tell a story about when he was a young boy the police turning up and searching the house and taking someone away - they were either hiding a wanted man or were hiding arms for the IRA, he wasn't sure.

Do you know if this is true and if infact we are related?

Brennan - Dublin
Williamson / Neill - Lurgan

Offline smecurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've never heard of a Michael or Ned Brennan in the family but I will ask. Is there any way you could get more information ?!?