Author Topic: Brennan family of Finglas  (Read 33661 times)

Offline cuckoo80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
I will carry on asking around and come back to you.
Brennan - Dublin
Williamson / Neill - Lurgan

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi cuckoo80,

I've not come across the name Michael Brennan so far but with a birth date of 1875 it is possble that he belongs to the generation preceeding the one on which i have most information.  The Brennan Family that i've been researching goes back to John Brennan (b.1847).  There is no Michael Brennan amongst John Brennan's children but it is possible that he could be John Brennan's nephew from one of John Brennan's siblings?  Do you know anything more about your family's connection with Finglas?  Interesting stuff....
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
cuckoo80,

Just wondering if you could share where your GGrandfather and Grandfather were born (and parents names) and their dates of birth, it might help us pin down any connections?

Chris
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline finglasman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
HI,

I have been researching my Brennan family tree and not getting very far.  I read through all of this earlier and then when I visited my aunt earlier she told me that we are related to the Brennan's of Finglas?? 

My ggrandfather was Michael Brennan born 1875 and was a railway labourer who lived at canalside inbetween binns bridge and Russell Bridge.  I don't know much more about his family.  My grandad (Ignatius known as Ned) used to tell a story about when he was a young boy the police turning up and searching the house and taking someone away - they were either hiding a wanted man or were hiding arms for the IRA, he wasn't sure.

Do you know if this is true and if infact we are related?
The late Michael Brennan was my great grandfather Naish was my grandfathers brother my grandfather was Michael from Railway Cottage Royal Canal
Brennan Finglas
Johnston/Johnson Cabra
Pratt Pelletstown Dublin
Whitethorne Dublin North

Offline finglasman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Many of my Brennan relatives are in St. Canice cemetery. My antecedents moved from Finglas to Railway Cottage Royal Canal (Russell bridge & Binns Bridge) There was one other Brennan family living in Finglas that of Charles Brennan his family as far as I am aware are unconnected with mine.
Brennan Finglas
Johnston/Johnson Cabra
Pratt Pelletstown Dublin
Whitethorne Dublin North

Offline cuckoo80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
I dont know for def if the story is true as my grandad has been dead for 20 yrs

It sounds like we are definately related which makes your parent my
Dad's first cousin? Was your grandad the eldest child? I know there were 14 - 16 children and have tracked down a few long lost relatives but had drawn a blank with your grandad's family.

My grandad was called both ned or naish and he moved to England during the second world war where he met my granny. He was married to a Mary Rochester in Dublin and they had a son who grandad left with his wife when he came to Birmingham. He had a brother Owen who moved to aldershot in England and a brother Matthew who also moved to England. He also had a brother William who's family live in Dublin, brother John, sister Kathleen, Ellen, Sarah and Annie offthe top of my head.

My(our) ggdad was married to Annie Johnston and his parents were Michael and Sarah. Does this fit in with the information you have?
Brennan - Dublin
Williamson / Neill - Lurgan

Offline finglasman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
Yes it seems we are related my grandfather Michael was indeed the eldest. I went to your late grandfather's funeral at Whitton Road.
Brennan Finglas
Johnston/Johnson Cabra
Pratt Pelletstown Dublin
Whitethorne Dublin North

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 30 May 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
This is good stuff.  Even though you guys aren't related to the Brennan family that i've been working on its very helpful as i can now be sure that all the names that you've mentioned are not part of the same family.   

How far have you managed to get back with your Brennan family?  I've only managed to get back as far as Charles Brennan and i've hit a brick wall.  As you're familiar with Finglas and the records available, any thoughts or suggestions on how to get Charles' parents or even find any of his siblings? 
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline finglasman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 04 June 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you will agree if you go far enough back you will find we are all related....  :) or perhaps not...  it depends on
which story you believe  :-\

I have been researching the Brennan's from Finglas for many years... I am sorry to say I don't have all the answers....

How does this fit in the scheme of things:-

Baptism, Charles Brennan 2nd May 1852 Finglas

Brennan Finglas
Johnston/Johnson Cabra
Pratt Pelletstown Dublin
Whitethorne Dublin North