Author Topic: Sirius Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 16598 times)

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
Re: Sirius Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your suggestion it will look in to them, but now I will try to answer your
questions.

When we went to the family records centre quite a few years ago I am sure I looked at a section of books that had overseas BMD, but found nothing.

Peter Frederick marriage certificate in 1842 only gives the ages as full and the address as this parish
(Wallsend) witnesses Robert Townsend that was Jane's farther and Eleanor Arn__r, sorry cannot read writing. Peter Frederick was shown as Mariner on all certificates and only is on one as the informant, Jane did the others the addresses are as in my first post.

I am sure John was buried in a church that was bombed in WW2 and the grave yard was moved a few years ago, have to come back on that one.

back soon
Sirius

Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »

This is what I have on Christenings that someone looked up for me on Rootschat

From the BVRI

CALLESON, Mary Jane   
Birth Date:24 Sep 1844 Christening Date:3 Nov 1844
Christ Church Tynemouth, Northumberland
Father:Peter CALLESON
Mother:Jane

CALLESON, Maria
Birth Date:19 Nov 1846 Christening Date:19 Mar 1847
Father:Peter CALLESON

CALLESON, Robert Townsend   
Birth Date:7 Jul 1849 Christening Date:19 Sep 1849
Father:Peter Frederick CALLESON

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
a death certificate is issued to act as a licence to allow the undertaker to dispose of a body - without this a funeral could not take place
 and any monies cannot be transfered to the next of kin usually the spouse , children or parents

if the body was lost at sea a funeral would not need to take place and a person who is missing can be assumed as dead after 7 years which would then allow the monies to be transferered to the next of kin

an inquest would have to take palce and a warrant issued by the coroner, (no need for a death cert as there was no body to dispose of) this seems to be what has happened in the case of Peters second son John

the inquest would be reported in the paper.

toni*

Two parts to this question 1/ Peter Frederick died sometime between 1855 - 1857 as his son Robert
Townsend Calleson 2nd was born 12th September 1855 and his Wife Jane re marrage  1st June 1857 if no body was found would she be able to marry again within the 7 years as no proof that he was dead, only states Widow on marrage Certificate.

2/ John Callison I was told was buried at St John church Wapping by a cousin who was trying to
find out if he was murdered, if there was a burial would he have death certificate?

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »

Two parts to this question 1/ Peter Frederick died sometime between 1855 - 1857 as his son Robert
Townsend Calleson 2nd was born 12th September 1855 and his Wife Jane re marrage  1st June 1857 if no body was found would she be able to marry again within the 7 years as no proof that he was dead, only states Widow on marrage Certificate.

2/ John Callison I was told was buried at St John church Wapping by a cousin who was trying to
find out if he was murdered, if there was a burial would he have death certificate?

Sirius
1) Just because a woman said she was widowed it didn't always mean her husband was dead.
2) If there was a burial and he was named on the burial then there must have been a death certificate.
Sometimes bodies of sailors washed up and death certificates were issued as 'unkown male' and were buried as such but if a name was attached to the burial.
The only way I can think there wouldn't have been a death certificate is if he died at sea, his body brought back and no death certificate obtained.
That would depend on wether the vicar was willing to bury a named person without a death certificate.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the parish record for the second Robert Townsend Calleson? There is a bit of a gap between the eldest 3 and Robert the second - which obviously could be accounted for by Peter being at sea, but is it possible that Robert the second was not Peter's, which would mean that Jane could remarry after 7 years had passed.

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the parish record for the second Robert Townsend Calleson? There is a bit of a gap between the eldest 3 and Robert the second - which obviously could be accounted for by Peter being at sea, but is it possible that Robert the second was not Peter's, which would mean that Jane could remarry after 7 years had passed.

Yes I am not sure about Robert the second as someone gave me a photocopy of his birth certificate
name of father and occupation is blank Jane is the informant, address what looks like Pool office bank or
Post office bank North Shields. Later when Robert married in 1883 he gave his father as Peter Calleson
(deceased).

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Was Peter Frederick named as the father on the first Robert Townsend's birth certificate? ( sometimes it will say deceased as some baptism records do)
If so that means he could have died anytime from 9 months prior to Robert 1 's birth and as deaths at sea were not recorded till 1855 that could explain why you can't find that one.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »

Yes Peter Frederick was named as the father on the first Roberts certificate, I also have Roberts death certificate 11th Jan 1852 down as  Son of Peter Calleson (seaman) Informant Margaret Rolson Present at the death Charlotte St Tynemouth.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Well if there is no father on Robert 11's birth certificate then Peter Frederick wasn't around then.
The fact that Robert named his father as Peter on his marriage certificate doesn't prove anything. He was young when his mother remarried so wouldn't have remembered Peter and only knew what he had been told.