Author Topic: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please  (Read 29791 times)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grimes family, Kilmaine. Advice please
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
MayoJoe very kindly sent me the whole marriage cert so I know that Edward's parents were Michael and Cath.
I may have found the parents on the 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Kilgarvan/Bunnyconnellan/1572616/

The location doesn't help with the word on the marriage cert which I thought might have been a corruption of Ballyvary but is this anywhere near Kilgarvan?  :-\

Pretty certain that Anna Gibbons' birthplace is Kilmaine but still no birth/baptism record for her.......
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
I was able to contact the person that posted the Fitzmaurice family tree (link to tree is in previous message). Unfortunately they had no info on Anna Grimes Gibbons. You may have found fitzmaurice on 1901 census. The fitzmaurice tree lists a child Elizabeth, could be Lizzie. I can't find descendants of Gibbons. I applied her death cert but was denied. I need to prove I'm related. I will keep digging.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I know the Fitzmaurices are not directly involved but here they are in 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Kilgarvin/Bunnyconnellan_West/700545/

and here is a cemetery entry for Michael. http://www.cmcrp.net/static/listcem.php?t=Mayo
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
I am just trying to make sense of the thread (or rather the information)

Is this right- there are two sets of children (possibly) James Grimes/Mary Duddy and John Grimes/Biddy Duddy?
Both of these have a Sarah - within a few years?

Do you have Sarah's emigration?
Ellis Island has a Sarah Grimes 20 yrs in 1893 emigrating to New York.
The entry above her is Bridget Walsh 21 yrs but this could be just coincidence and also she is going to Brooklyn and she wouldn't be a widow.  ::)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood - sometimes I struggle to hang on to this thread!

John Grimes and Bridget (Biddy) Duddy had a number of children including Sarah. I am aware of James Grimes and Mary Duddy as they tend to appear as sponsors on family baptism records but I haven't put any time into investigating them.
Sarah Grimes went to the USA and married O'Day or Oday. The reason why it's thought she is related to Bridget Walsh is that MayoJoe123 found that they were buried together and Bridget's death cert says that her parents are John Grimes and Bridget Duddy. Sarah also shared an address in Brooklyn with Bridget (info from death cert not census), confirmed by MayoJoe as the family home.
We have not been able to find Bridget on the New York census in Brooklyn. I found a Bridget Walsh living in the Bronx, her dates fit and she had married at 19 (ie before emigrating) but we're not sure it's her.
The story is further confused because MayoJoe has provided good evidence that there was another sister Anna (or Annie) who married John Gibbons and then Edward Fitzmaurice. This 2nd marriage cert gives John Grimes and Bridget Duddy as her parents.
We can find no trace of either Bridget or Anna in Coolisduff, Kilmaine. I keep going back to my very first posting here about Sabina Grimes (did she exist? Sabina = Anna?) but I'm clutching at straws.

Sorry - modified to add Thank you we have Sarah's passenger record.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the further explanation - you have answered a couple of queries e.g. I wondered whether there was any evidence in USA censuses re the three sisters - Bridget/Sarah and Anna. That is quite unusual I think usually Anne/Annie or Hannah.
I also wanted to ensure that both you and MayoJoe were talking about the same person after her emigration.

:) heywood

I have just searched 1920 US census index- sorry I know very little re New Jersey. There appears to be an Edward Fitzmaurice b c 1870 and Anna Fitzmaurice b 1872 in Union county. There is a Mary too b 1900 who is not mentioned on that Family Tree  :-\

I looked on google maps and Elizabeth (where they married) is in that county I think.
I am not able to access the site otherwise.

Offline mayojoe123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,  regarding Bridget Walsh, we assume since she is burried in her sister Sarah Grimes and brother in law Thomas O'Day plot and no other immediate family that she came to the states as a widow.

I found on mayo ancestors that a Biddy grimes married a John Walsh in 1873. Bridget's death cert does not give her spouses name. The age doesn't match up either but they usually never do. I am not sure if I am on to something there

there doesn't seem to be a civil record just church record.  I had no luck looking for a John Walsh death cert.

Is there a way to check brides parents names for marriage records.
Thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware, the only way to get bride's parents names, and then it would only be the father, is through the certificate and parish record. Some parish records are published online I think.
I looked on family search pilot and there is a Bridget Grimes marriage 1892 and I tried (it's quite laborious) to match her to a Walsh. The only one which seemed a possible was not the right page reference :(
She may have married in USA.
I was interested in that  1920 census for Fitzmaurice because I thought it may give you information re parents/year of birth/ year of entry to USA but not sure which censuses contain what information.