Author Topic: Odd Signal COMPLETE  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Signal
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 December 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Geoff, The Mayflower picture is of my father and his fireman for the day on the footplate of Mayflower shortly after the engine had been named by the US naval attache, and before departure of the 4.15p.m. train KX to Cleethorpes. The turns were worked by Boston men, relieving at Boston. At that time there were two through services between Cleethorpes and KX, the 10.10 am Boston to KX and the 4.15 being worked by Boston throughout; the other by Immingham men. Have much more information as I was closely involved in these workings from 1958 to 1962, and indeed my father from their inception in 1950. Please pm me if you have any questions.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 January 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, for those interested I finally have received an answer to my query.  :)

'The signal on the landing was to indicate that the Ferry had lowered the wires to the bottom of the river to enable ships to navigate up to the West Basin for loading or turning. The procedure was that a ship requiring to pass the landing would blow one long and two short blasts when passing Colpits landing to indicate to the ferry crew that they should drop the wires to allow the ship safe passage. If the Ferry was at the South side, he would immediately set off for the North side, because that was where the Cable tensioning gear was situated, and lower the wires. When the wires were safely on the bottom, the Ferrymen would give an answering long and two short on the Whistle, and pull the signal to the off position - why, I'm not sure because it would certainly not be seen in fog, or by ships coming from the West Basin direction! Of course, the people involved would all know what was planned to happen, and would be well briefed by VHF Radio if any alterations were to crop up. I remember an occasion when a 'new' J77 arrived at the Shed, fitted with an A4 calliope whistle. On its first week on the Staiths, every time the whistle was sounded, the Ferry crew went to panic stations, thinking a ship was en route...all because no one had told them!

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Philip! :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I can imagine the effect of that whistle!SAndbanks chain ferry at Poole crosses the main shipping lane, or is that a separate topic?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I suppose Roger, apart from a few ferries each day, it is the main shipping http://tinyurl.com/y9eptue
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I think that Poole Harbour might disagree with that comment Geoff.