Author Topic: Matlock for Next Clue? - Cornelius Fulwood (Ilkeston)  (Read 15870 times)

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matlock for Next Clue? - Cornelius Fulwood (Ilkeston)
« on: Wednesday 23 December 09 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas All,

I am researching my family history and have gone back as far as 1809, Cornelius Fulwood (Fullard on 1841 census) from Ilkeston, my Grt x 3 Grandfather (married to Charlotte Harrison). However this is where I hit a dead end and wanted advice on my next steps which I assume is the Parish records in Matlock?  I am some distance from there, so wanted to get feedback on possible search options before I travel up to Matlock (3 hours away).

A single entry on the IGI suggests a John Fullard / Anne Beardsley may be the parents, but this is a users pedigree entry from the US, and no source information so I am taking this information with a pinch of salt when no other records so far back this up.

I have also been to the National Archives today to check the BIVRI discs and nothing comes up on those either.

Suggestions welcomed, thank you.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matlock for Next Clue? - Cornelius Fulwood (Ilkeston)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi - and welcome to Rootschat

Yes,  you would/do need the parish registers to go back before civil registration starts (1837),  however many have been transcribed,  check out this site - it seems you can buy copies of transcriptions for Ilkeston which would help you do some more research before viviting the records office

http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/familyhistory%20publications.htm

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a removeal order from Ilkeston dated 1816 to Bilborough, Nottingham for this family. Ref RM7 516

John FULWOOD,
Amy wife,
Sarah,
Thomas,
William,
Alice, Henry,
Cornelius,
Moses. 

Found on the this site http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~spire/Yesterday/index.htm

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies will check them out. 

I wonder if they were naughty family then if they had to be removed? I do recognise, Thomas, Moses William because they crop in various other records but have not linked to my side of the family yet, but could well be sons of John so that is where the link is. My Cornelius (and the others) are listed back in Ilkeston by time we get to the 1841 census (although listed as Fullard) but as yet not proved they are linked to John Fulwood, although this would go someway to suggesting the link.

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 December 09 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry misunderstood what a Removal record was, the Derbyshire Records website carries a database too of the Poor Law Removal Orders.

It is dated 1816 which is find interesting because the 1841 census and the IGI entry which I think shows John to be Cornelius father listed them as Fullard, but this record has the correct name of Fulwood.

The removal was from Ilkeston to Nottingham, but we know that most of the children came back to Ilkeston sometime prior to the 1841 census. I seem to have lost track of John because he does not appear yet beyond this 1816 Poor Law removal.

So I guess my question is to anyone that understands the Poor Law Removal Order is what would have needed to happen for them to return to Ilkeston?  Was it something as simple of finding work to provide for the family?

I am going to try and get a copy of the removal order to see what it says.

I still need to find a way of confirming if this Cornelius is my Cornelius, thus making John his father allowing me to go back thatlittle further.

Anyway, wishing you all a Happy Christmas.

Ashley (Fulwood)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 09 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you already have this information - or it will be of interest??

by 1851 Cornelius was living at lee lane , Langley Derbyshire (nr heanor)
and brother Moses was also in Heanor

there are these burials
Heanor Cemetery (known locally as marlpool cemetery)
 Grave no 3127 Cornelius Fulwood buried 11 Nov 1883 age 72
A Miner. Died at Langley, Heanor Derbys
Grave no 3127
Charlotte Fulwood buried 9 Aug 1884 age 75. Relict of Cornelius Fulwood. Died at Marlpool Heanor Derbys

there is also a baptism at St Lawrence Heanor Derbys
John Fulwood born 18/1/1837. baptised 28/6/1837 Parents Moses Fulwood/Mary. Woodlinkin Derbys Father's occupation Collier

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 09 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Removal orders were usually issued when it seemed likely that a person or family might become a charge on the parish,  so if the bread winner(s) were ill, died or went absent and it looked as though the parish might have to pay to support the family they would have a hearing to determine where the 'legal place of settlement was'  sometimes it was where the head of the family was born,  but it could also be the last place that they had formal employment for a year or more.  Then rather than pay to support the family they would be sent back to where they came from - in my experience many times familys just didn't go or came back pretty quick but I doubt that they would then recieve any 'help' from the parish that tried to move them.

That's a very simplified explanation - it looks as though the Fulwoods had legal settlement in Bilborough.

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 December 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley

I noticed that Cornelius named one of his own children Amy. After his mother perhaps?

There is also a Will for a Moses Fulwood, Carr St, Ilkeston dated 1874.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 December 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
That's a very simplified explanation - it looks as though the Fulwoods had legal settlement in Bilborough.

Thanks for the explanation Debbie.

This is the thing Debbie, so far I have not traced any link to Bilborough, all the family seem to have come from Heanor and Ilkeston, and when I look earlier than 1760 there are plenty of Fulwood's in Ilkeston, and not seeing any in Bilborough, and as I say they were back in Ilkeston by time the 1841 census came around. All very intersting, I wonder if as you say they left but came back quickly.