Author Topic: Matlock for Next Clue? - Cornelius Fulwood (Ilkeston)  (Read 15865 times)

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matlock for Next Clue? - Cornelius Fulwood (Ilkeston)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 December 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that Cornelius named one of his own children Amy. After his mother perhaps?

There is also a Will for a Moses Fulwood, Carr St, Ilkeston dated 1874.

Carol

That does seem to have been a trend with my family to name children after their parents or even themselves. It is a good question about Amy. The removal order does list Amy, but the IGI records list Anne as the mother so what I still need to do is confirm if this removal order family is the one I am looking for, or another branch of the family.

I found the Matlock records website fascinating and I also came across the will for Moses too so I will check that out too when I can.

Thank you for everyones help :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 December 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashie,

Removal-Examination-Settlement orders, There are a few websites that explain them and as posters on Rootschat have said it is poverty mostly for these orders but what is the best about these orders they give the parish of birth of the father (Or single woman) as they were responsible for wealthfare of these people similar the DHSS today.  IGI submissions are not what is commom belief to be false as most cases are right and are checked out but there are odd ones that are wrong but most are right.

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 December 09 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Removal-Examination-Settlement orders, There are a few websites that explain them and as posters on Rootschat have said it is poverty mostly for these orders but what is the best about these orders they give the parish of birth of the father (Or single woman) as they were responsible for wealthfare of these people similar the DHSS today.  IGI submissions are not what is commom belief to be false as most cases are right and are checked out but there are odd ones that are wrong but most are right.

Hi Dobfarm,

Thank you for this :)   What I have discovered with the IGI records is that if they include a batch number and a film reference then it is likely to be accurate and can be cross checked against the original film of the document. My main concern for the record linking Cornelius to John is that it was part of a pedigree file with no Batch reference and no way to contact the original submitter. Obviously I now have a little more faith with this link to this Removal entry :)

Ashley.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 December 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashie

Basically what the IGI does gives you an index, that is all it is!
the only trouble is not all Bap's Marr's and deaths are in it, hence a
lot of trees are wrong as novice researchers enter only from this source in their trees and a knock on effect is caused if this info is put  in a tree and IGI "it must be right attitude by others". What you can do is check out the dates at Record offices or Libraries but also at your local LDS family history centre (Usually the local Mormon church ) and order a film of the batch number with the original register on film.
What the Submission do also Batch number entries is give you a date then you can then phone the local council Library of that area(Ie;- Derby or Nottingham) for a copy of the event! of their Micro film or fiche record and as most libraries only charge for search for ancestors unknown dates but have usually half hour free look ups and copy service on known dates (Don't have to search but got straight too it). Then you sent a SAE with a cheque  ie two Stamps and copy charge about 50p to a £1 = total cost about Max £2 or Lds Libraries £4 to order the batch film and copy charges by LDS about £1 each and less for more copies in bulk say 6 copies.
Phone these place like the council libraries-Archives and LDS near too you for free good advice-If LDS have film batch numbers in stock then you only pay for copies and most large LDS centres hold their area copies of film Ie like Big cities and towns like local council Libraries.

Dobby

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 December 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »
there are these burials
Heanor Cemetery (known locally as marlpool cemetery)
 Grave no 3127 Cornelius Fulwood buried 11 Nov 1883 age 72
A Miner. Died at Langley, Heanor Derbys
Grave no 3127
Charlotte Fulwood buried 9 Aug 1884 age 75. Relict of Cornelius Fulwood. Died at Marlpool Heanor Derbys

Thanks Suzard, I had missed your reply earlier and this is great. I like the description of Charlotte 'relict of Cornelius'  ;D 

I think the website you used also has details of the death's of the children of their son's. One had two daughte

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 December 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
oops, pressed enter too early.

One had two daughters die in the same year, both about 2 years old. I am guessing that was due to illness.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Lets sort something out here because Dobbie is in part wrong.

The IGI is in two forms.  First there is the extractions which are transcriptions of either the PR's or BT's.  Not all are online for a number of reasons.  The most common is the PR's or BT's were not allowed to be filmed or copied by the LDS.  In my experience of using this part of the IGI it is as accurate as any transcription can be.  The other reason not all are online is because the LDS released on CD (well 16 cd's actually) the British Vital Records Index which contains more that are not online.

The ancestral submissions are where the problem lies.  These were taken from the returns of the church initially of those families that had had their 'ancestors' baptised after death.  In some cases these are great sources but should be treated with a lot of suspicion as they do contain errors and some of them are glowing errors.
If you locate a death on the IGI you can be sure its a submission by a patron because the LDS never did transcribe the death registers.
Yes the LDS Family centres are great places to go if you have one nearby but unfortunately not every area as an LDS library and in some areas they don't like non LDS using them.  Before anyone tells me different I know this from Experience with more than one area refusing me access.  Where they do you have to order the film with the batch number on which doesn't cost a lot and then you have to pay for the access to the film readers and again that is no large expense.

yes archives will do simple lookups for you but they do ask for a year and parish to go on.  If you cant provide that they will offer you the chance to do a half hours research and the cost varies from around £15 to £20 per half hour.  If you need that then I would ask for a lookup or hire a professional who will charge between £10 and £20 an hour. 

When I started this work there was no computer and all the work was done the hard way.  The IGI and the internet as made researching a little easier but the errors that are found now compared to before in pedigrees are far higher because people don't check their information.  The IGI extractions I still use today as a guide but I ignore all ancestral submissions.  Published family history accounts are ok but again the information needs checking.  There are one or two out there for a surname of mine that seem to have everyone in one area of the US with this surname connected to the same family yet when you check the info out there is no connection.  In fact one book was written and the authors direct ancestors could not be related to the tree he quoted because the person he 'connects' with never married nor had children.

The motto I tell newbies is check, check, check and the check some more.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The ancestral submissions are where the problem lies.  These were taken from the returns of the church initially of those families that had had their 'ancestors' baptised after death.  In some cases these are great sources but should be treated with a lot of suspicion as they do contain errors and some of them are glowing errors.
If you locate a death on the IGI you can be sure its a submission by a patron because the LDS never did transcribe the death registers.

The motto I tell newbies is check, check, check and the check some more.

Thanks Rob,

Good advice on the checking, which is why I have been unwilling to accept the Pedigree File on the IGI website until I can find other means to provie the source.

Ashley

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »

Hi

The cost of hiring a film now is £7.50 for 3 months, but you don't pay extra for the film reader.  The price has recently gone up.  I believe most LDS centres are open to non members, but they do have certain day when it is for members only.  If you do decide to go best check first as they all seem to have different opening days and times. The centres and phone numbers are listed on this site

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk