Author Topic: Elgin Morayshire address  (Read 11466 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elgin Morayshire address
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that Lewis Ryan and Lewis Royan are one and the same?

I think this was based on the information I found. The only way to be sure would be to get a copy of the 1974 death certificate and compare the information on it with the other information available.

If Lewis Ryan was married twice, his death certificate should state the names of both his wives. That would surely clinch the matter.

You could order the certificate from Scotland's People, or you could get someone to go and transcribe it for you, either in Elgin or in Edinburgh. There are links on the SP web site to lists of professional searchers who would do this, or you could see if anyone on the forum might offer to do so while they're doing their own research.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
 :(Not quite sure what you mean by SP..I am new to your site...
Cheers
Kay P
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
:(Not quite sure what you mean by SP..I am new to your site...

My apologies. SP is shorthand for Scotland's People, the definitive site for Scottish family history research. I gave the URL in my earlier post: it's www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You can download images of birth certificates from 1855 to 1910, marriage certificates from 1855 to 1935, and death certificates from 1855 to 1960, plus all surviving Church of Scotland and some Roman Catholic records of baptisms, banns and burials to 1854, plus the censuses for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901, and wills and testaments to 1901. It's a pay-per-view site, but you can see up to five certificates for less than it would cost you to order one English certificate - and you don't have to wait for them to arrive by post.

Later birth, marriage and death certificates can be ordered online or viewed at General Register House in Edinburgh and some Registrars' offices.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
 :DThank You Forfarian for your reply and for the details on Scotlands People.
I will send for the Death Cert for Lewis Ryan and see what details the certificate has..
Cheers
Kay P NSW Australia
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.