Author Topic: How can I tell if he really is who I think he is ?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline jenniren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I tell if he really is who I think he is ?
« on: Thursday 24 December 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have a Key family in my Family History, George Henry and Sarah Key nee Attwood.  In the 1911 census I have found the family living in Islington and subsequently going through the Births records I found a John E Key, born 1911 and living in Islington.  It was too early to have the maiden name of his mother registered but wondered if there was any way I could verify this without sending for the certificate, as I have a large pile of incorrect Birth, Marriage and Death certificates.  I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who could  help me on this.

Many thanks
jenniren

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I tell if he really is who I think he is ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 December 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat
You could always ask the local Islington office where the birth was registered.  Most are very helpful and will only send a certificate if the details match what you already know.  Unlike the GRO they do not charge for this service.    Try this with others as well as it should be possible to avoid having lots of wrong ones! You could also look to see if there is another Key family in that area in 1911.
Which is the church where they are likely to have been baptised?   That might be another route.
Regards
Andrea

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 December 09 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi & Welcome to RC! beat me to it Andrea!

I suspect that someone on the London board will have access to local records. go to home page/scroll down to England / click on London.

Diddy.
 happy hunting & Happy Christmas!  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline jenniren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 December 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks for your help to you both, will try that out.

jenniren