Author Topic: Hoff family  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Penmon

• RootsChat Member
  • Penmon Lighthouse
    • View Profile
Hoff family
« on: Saturday 26 December 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
My great Uncle Joseph Thomas Goodman Roberts fought in the Boer War, and married a Boer lady Georgina Hoff, of Dutch descent

The marriage was solemnised at Cape Town, in the Parish of St Philip in the Division of the Cape in 1905.
The cerificate is a true extract from the Register of Marriages kept in St Philip's Church, Chapel Street, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope. The couple were married on July 1st 1905 by W.G. Watkins after the reading of Banns in the presence of Thomas Budgen and Florrie Jones, witnesses.
Joseph was a 25 year old bachelor and worked as an asphalter, residing at 32 Queen's Street, Cape Town.
Georgina was a 26 year old spinster, working as a servant, residing at Glenmore Villa, Hof Street, Cape Town.
They returned to live in Joseph'd home village of Penmon, where they both died very young. Their gravestone reads;
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
JOSEPH THOMAS GOODMAN ROBERTS
CAE MERDDYN PENMON
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 30 1914
AGED 34
ALSO
GEORGINA
HIS BELOVED WIFE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
12 JANUARY 1913 AGED 33
ALSO THERIR CHILDREN
GEORGE AGED 1 GEORGINA 10 WEEKS
BARMHARTIC EN CENADIC IS DE HEERE
LANGMOEDIG EN GROOT VAN
COEDER TIEREN NED
PSALM C 111.0.0
ALSO THEIR BELOVED DAUGHTER
MADGE, DIED FEBRUARY 27 1935
AGED 25 YEARS
AT REST

I would love to hear from anyone related to Georgina and the Hoff family.
Ken Davies / Mid Wales GB
Roberts, Beaumaris, Caim, Penmon
Jones, Caim, Penmon
Davies, Llanrwst, Llanarmon Yn Ial
Williams, Nant Y Rhiw, Capel Garmon
Hughes, Capel Garmon
Michell, Cwmystwyth, Mary Tavy, Devon
Jenkins, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline Goodman-Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoff family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
my great granfather was joseph goodman-roberts and my great grandmother was jane georgina hoff. I know my Male side of the family, but am really interested to know about Jane Hoff and her side of the family, the Hoff side and also her mothers side. My dad's cousin has been to Cape Town and found out about the marriage but mostly about Joseph and his father and further back. I am really pleased to hear from you as along the line we are related. If u have any more information about Jane and her family did she have any brothers or sisters. I would love to hear from you. regards Dorrie xxx

Offline Penmon

• RootsChat Member
  • Penmon Lighthouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorrie - wonderful hearing from your - Joseph Thomas Goodman Roberts was my grandfather'r brother - they came from Cae Merddyn, Penmon. I too am trying to contact the Hoff family - hence this forum topic.
If you visit our family history website www.penmon.org  you can read all about the Roberts side. Will also contact your personal e-mail.
Ken Davies
Roberts, Beaumaris, Caim, Penmon
Jones, Caim, Penmon
Davies, Llanrwst, Llanarmon Yn Ial
Williams, Nant Y Rhiw, Capel Garmon
Hughes, Capel Garmon
Michell, Cwmystwyth, Mary Tavy, Devon
Jenkins, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline Goodman-Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
I have read the penmon site, thats why I connected on here to try to find the hoffs side of the family, the more I read on penmons the more I wanted to find out. My grandfather was Charles Goodman-Roberts son of Joseph and Jane, my dad was Allen Goodman-Roberts Eldest sone of Charles and Doris. When I was young my dad would tell me stories of the roberts history, I never knew my grandad as he died when I was a year old. I came on this site to see if anyone knows any hoffs in Cape Town and also would love to find out more about Janes side of the family. I live in Holland, Hoff is quite a common name here, if it was Van Hoff then that would be easier to locate. If u find out anything please let me know and visa versa. take care Dorrie xxxx