Author Topic: Mary SEARLE  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Tilly92

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mary SEARLE
« on: Monday 28 December 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Am researching the Searle family from Stoke Damerel in Devon. Could anyone help me find the names of Mary Searle's parents, she was christened in 1765 and her mother is names as Fanny Searle but can't find the fathers name.

Many Thanks

Tilly
Tillstone-Sussex, Austin

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Searle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 09 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tilly,
As only the Mothers name is shown it is more than likely Mary was illegitimate.

There is a Frances ( possible Fanny) on the IGI christened 13 August 1742, Buckfastleigh, Parents ANDREW and GRACE
That would make her abt 23 when Mary was born if it is her.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary SEARLE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 09 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Trish - Ive seen this sort of thing a number of times before and it nearly always means that the child was illegitimate...

There is one other possibility - and this has occurred in my own family history where the Father of the baby has died before it was born and at its baptism only the Mother's name was recorded and not the Father's. Its worth checking to see if anyone called Fanny married a Searle at Stoke Damerel previous to 1765 just in case... then tying it in with a possible male Searle burial... if you understand me!!!

Its a long shot, but worth ruling out. (It doesnt help that Stoke Damerel is such a big parish!!!)

Good luck

Graham

Offline searlehome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
My own ancestors are Searles from Stoke Damerel whose roots can be traced back to the Launceston area of Cornwall in the early 1700s.  Specifically, Zechariah Searle, born in Egloskerry, Cornwall moved to Stoke Damerel and married Elizabeth Febus on October 11, 1791.  One of their children, Francis, emigrated to Philadelphia in 1808.  I can find very little about Francis' siblings in Stoke Damerel.  Do you have any information that relates to these people?  Is there any other information about Searles in Stoke Damerel that you need?  Thank you.
Searle: Egloskerry and Launceston, Cornwall; Stoke Damerel and Plymouth, Devon; and Otago, New Zealand

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the 4 siblings found via the IGI, I show that Zechariah & wife Elizabeth also baptised at Stoke Damerel:
14 Feb 1805 John (born 24 Sep 1804)
18 May 1806 Elizabeth Phoebus
making a total of 7 children.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline searlehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the birth date of John.  I only had his christening date.

I have a total of 8 children born to Zechariah and Elizabeth (Febus) Searle: Mary, Francis, Mary Ann, William, Charlotte, Richard, John and Elizabeth.  I have their christening dates.

Do you know how I can get more information on these siblings?  For example, what source did you use for John's date of birth?  Other than my ancestor, FRANCIS, there is no other record (marriage or death) for the other members of his family.  I found a collateral reference to Frances' mother (Elizabeth) in a Last Will and Testament posted online for her step-mother.  Elizabeth received a bequest of a table!  Not bad for a step-daughter.

Thanks again for the quick repsonse with that date for John.
Searle: Egloskerry and Launceston, Cornwall; Stoke Damerel and Plymouth, Devon; and Otago, New Zealand

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
John's birth date was included in the parish register entry for his baptism. Sorry, I missed Richard's baptism 9 Jan 1803, written as SEARL, and a birth date of 2 Sep 1802.
Zachariah was buried at Stoke Damerel, aged 72 26 Aug 1832, so birth ca 1760.
An Elizabeth SEARLE was buried at Stoke Damerel, aged 71 22 May 1831, residence Dock Wall.
An Elizabeth SEARL was buried aged 58 20 Aug 1827 of Pembroke Street.
Francis SEARL (1795) buried aged 30 13 Apr 1825.
 Unfortunately, the surname SEARL(E) is quite common in Devon, and there are too many possibilities to guess at for the marriages of the others.
A Richard SEARLE is shown in the 1861 census married to a Catherine with his age given as 55 - possibly poetic licence as his wife was only 38? You can check for yourself at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline searlehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the dates.  However, I am greatly distressed over the information in FRANCIS' burial record from 1825 because his age makes his birth-year 1795 (the birth year matches what I had from his christening record).  I thought I had seen that burial record some time ago (I cannot remember when or where) and that the birth-year was 1775.  This is critical information for me as FRANCIS is my direct ancestral link from the United States back to England in 1808 and my family's Francis died in Philadelphia on April 14, 1838!

What are the chances that your burial record for a Francis Searle with a birth-year that matches what I know for sure is a different Francis than my American ancestor? (While Searle was a common surname in Plymouth, Francis was a less common forename, which makes it hard to discount the data you provided from Francis' burial record.) I have more than five years of extensive genealogy research riding on the answer to the above question!!  No pressure, if you would like to answer it.

Do you have a Internet link to the Stoke Damerel parish register (burials) where that information came from?  I would be most grateful.  Thanks again.

Offline searlehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the census link you provided in your last post was very helpful.  I didn't have that family in my notes.  The head of that family could possibly be my RICHARD, although he has one of those popular forenames.