Author Topic: terence byrne deported to van diemens land  (Read 6152 times)

Offline theresecullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
terence byrne deported to van diemens land
« on: Monday 28 December 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
hi there im trying to find out any information about my fathers grandmothers great grand uncle terence byrne. he was arrested by the yeomen soon after 1798 most likely held in dublin for a while before being transported to cobh and deported to probably sydney first and then onto van diemens land. he had two brothers we know of charlie born 1769 dying 1830 and a brother william aka billy. we know that terence and charlie were farmers in glenmalure wicklow. terence was known as a cow doctor. his wife(we dont have her name) managed to get him pardoned by the Hugo family who were local Landed Gentry but by the time she got to cork with it his boat had already left. we have no more information so if anyone knows anything about him or what happened to him i would be very greatfukl if you could pass it on, cheers  :)

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: terence byrne deported to van diemens land
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The Tellicherry Five book gives a List of Rebels proclaimed (wanted) by Military and gives its address as Rathdrum, 14 October 1800.
On that list there is a JOHN Byrne (son of Owen Kittagh) with a description of him being 5' 7" - 5' 8" tall, dark hair, aged about 20.
Directly below on the list is TERENCE Byrne who is stated to be "brother to John" and 5' 11", dark hair. age about 20.
As far as I can see there is no other reference to Terence, although there are a good few other Byrnes mentioned.

Cheers

Offline theresecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
thanks a million for the reply, although alot of the family are actually from Rathdrum  unfortunatly i dont think they are the same byrnes. i will chat to my father more about the details you have given me. thank you so much,i really appreciate the effert you went to.
sincerely,
therese cullen

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  You should borrow a copy of the Tellicherry Five from your Library - I imagine you'd find it fascinating.

Cheers