Author Topic: Dean / Murphy orphan  (Read 2552 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dean / Murphy orphan
« on: Tuesday 29 December 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
This might be a terrible nuisance but I will give you the information that I have.  Any information, direction, or insight would be greatly appreciated.

My great-grandmother Mary was born in Ballycroy, 14 Nov 1860, but we have no proof that her mother and father were married.  Tradition says her mother's name was Mary Dean and that the father was a John Murphy, both of County Mayo.  He evidently left Ireland for either America or Canada around 1864/65 and the mother determinedly followed him, possibly with a younger child.  She opted though to leave her 4 or 5 year old daughter Mary with an orphanage in Westport.  The little girl took the name Mary Deane and remained there until her late teens when she immigrated to Scotland. 

We don't know what became of the mother or father or if they ever married. There is a very remote chance that the parents names have been confused and could have been Mary Murphy and John Dean.

I would like to confirm the parents names if possible and/or when they left Ireland and by which ship.  I would also be curious as to information on the orphanage(s) in Westport in the 1860s.

Thank you for your efforts.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland