Author Topic: Frank Harris - Barrister, Saskatchewan  (Read 4581 times)

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Harris - Barrister, Saskatchewan
« on: Tuesday 29 December 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone could help me with any infomation about a cousin of my father's named Frank Harris.   Born in Montrose before the First World War, I was led by my late father to believe that Frank Harris emigrated sometime between the Wars to become a barrister in Saskatchewan, possibly in Saskatoon.  Perhaps someone might know of a source from before or after the Second World War which might confirm whether this information was correct?

Thank you for any help.

David.

Lincolnshire, England.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Harris - Barrister, Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 02:30 GMT (UK) »
I found a Form 30 ocean arrival form dated Oct 1922 for Frank Harris who arrived on the Victorian. He was 17, born in Montrose, Scotland and his intended occupation was law clerk. It says he was destined for Saskatoon. There is possibly the name of a firm and its address listed but I can't make out the name of the firm. It looks like Murray Morrow H??, Standard Trust Building, Saskatoon. His father, James Harris, 18 Durward Road, Montrose, Scotland is listed as his nearest relative from the country from which he came.

I also found an entry on a passenger list for his return after an apparent visit to Scotland:

On the Athenia which departed from Glasgow and arrived in Montreal on 13 Sep 1930:

Frank Middleton Harris, 24, single, born Montrose, Scotland, was in Canada from 1 Oct 1922 to 25 Jul 1930 at Spadina Cres., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, occupation: barrister. His closest relative in the country from where he came was his father, James Harris, 18 Dorward Road, Montrose.

It looks like Frank was supposed to return to Canada on the Antonia which arrived 20 Sep 1930 as he is listed on its passenger list but there is a line through his name and a note that says he did not embark.  Instead of giving his destination as the Spadina Cres address, it says c/o McKercher, McCool and Francis which was a Saskatoon law firm.

I've sent you a PM regarding this as well.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I found the incoming UK passenger list for Frank's trip in 1930. He was on the Arconia which arrived in Liverpool on 23 Aug 1930.

He was also on the Ascania which arrived in London on 18 May 1937. Canadian passengers lists and immigration documentation from 1935 on is currently protected by privacy laws so I can't provide information on his return to Canada.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic, Jacquie!

That's definitely him.  His father was James Harris, and his mother Christina Middleton - so hence his middle name.

I will reply to your private message.  Now, I wonder if he might have married and had any family?

Thanks again.

David.

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
I don't have any information on your relative, but my mother's cousin was Charlie McCool, the McCool of McKercher, McCool and Francis.
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
A bit late and I don't know if David is still around, but this appears to be a reference to him:
http://books.google.com/books?q=%22Frank+M+Harris%22+Saskatoon&btnG=Search+Books
(possibly forming a partnership with a WH Nelson to practice law in Prince Albert, SK)

also if you search for "Frank Harris of Prince Albert, Sask" in google books there is a hit suggesting he died in 1965 in Prince Albert (from Scotland, first arrived in Canada "1921", admitted to the bar "1928")
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am still around, and delighted to see that this thread has been brought to life again by sesd and jorose.

That could well be him in Prince Albert - I think he probably emigrated to Canada in about 1921/22.  Thanks for setting me off down the track again.

David.

Offline Chris Harris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 August 19 03:07 BST (UK) »
He was my Dad. What do you want to know?

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,
Thank you so much for your reply.   I first posted my interest in finding out about Frank Harris way back in 2009, so it was quite a surprise to be alerted to your response a couple of days ago.   Back in 2009 I was in the thick of researching my Robertson family tree,   Frank Harris was a cousin of my father.   My grandfather, John Robertson, married Jessie Anderson Harris, sister to James Harris, Frank's father. However, after my grandmother's death in 1946, my father (to his regret) had lost all contact with his mother's family, and by 2009 I was really struggling to find out anything about them.   I did make some progress a year later when I made contact with a Professor Macfarlane in Cambridge, who kindly sent me some information about the Harris family, but I would love to learn more about them.

If you would like to contact me directly, my e-mail address is:  (*)

Thank you again, and kind regards,

David.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php