Author Topic: needing details for Robert Neil  (Read 5083 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
needing details for Robert Neil
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
howdy,

The 1841 Census has Robert Neil born c. 1801 in Wigtown, no further leads to parentsor siblings as yet.

Wife was was Mary McMillan, 1826, Ayr, and second wife Susan McCutcheon, married 1832, Wauch Mill, Sorbi.

Can anyone help with parents for Robert?

Ta,
Fiona

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: needing details for Robert Neil
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Do you have his death certificate as that may have his parent's names on it?
Have you followed the family through the census records to see if there are any family members with them?

I can see them in Whithorn in 1841, but the seem to have moved away by 1851. Do you know where they went?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Scotslady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Don't know if you have found the information you're looking for or still reading these old posts.

Robert Neil & Mary McMillan were my gr-gr-gr-gr-grandparents.

I know he had married again, re Susan McCutcheon who died in Kilmarnock 1855, and Robert was already deceased then.

I have looked through Scotland's People in the OPR section pre-1855 and have found 2 deaths entries of Robert Neil, which I thought was the closest match as I live and know the area of towns around Ayrshire.  The information, only states name, date of death & cause, no parents, wife or offspring names mentioned & very basic.

I'm only back into researching again after a break as I've been doing other family lines, but have came back to this particular grandparents line.

I'm going to search the local poorhouse areas and poor relief information online, hoping that something may be found there.

I hope you have progressed further in your research and good luck.

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I didn't actually follow it up as things got a little hectic and I took a break. My line comes from his second marriage to Susan McCutcheon. I only ended up with his marriage details to her and simple birth info for each with a list of children.

All I know is that he died before 1862 because his daughters marriage certificate states that he is deceased by then but it was after 1842 as his last child was born then.

Let me know if you turn anything up.
Ta
Fiona

Offline Scotslady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

All I can find is that on the 1851 census Susan is a widow and living as a pauper aged 50 in Kilmarnock & Martha, Hugh & William are living with her.

His last child was born abt 1846, so I assume his death was between 1846-1851.  There are deaths for Robert Neil & in Ayrshire but not Kilmarnock nor Wigtown area.

Thanks for the reply,  :)

Ps, don't know if you know that Susan's mothers maiden name is Auld.  I come from Robert's daughter Janet's line of the family.
I can't remember which document, but Robert's surname is McNeil, so maybe research that surname too.  Will try & find where I read it.

Will keep you informed if I find anything new.   ;)

Offline Scotslady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Oops, just found it.  ;D

On Janet's death certificate her parents surnames are spelled as McNeil.

This is hard and confusing work.  My mind boggles.  :D

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 12 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, Hello, Hello,
It's a wet rainy day here in NSW Aus so I figured I check in on Robert :)

You mentioned that he had a child in 1846 - do you have the name of that child as I only have the last child being born in 1842...William Neil.

I never did find a death for him but you also mentioned a death was found in Ayrshire. His second wife Susan McCutcheon also died 21 Dec 1856, Kilmarnock, Ayr - what were the details that you had found for Robert in Ayrshire???

Was the consensus in the end to call the Mc Neil?

Fiona

Offline Scotslady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 12 23:18 BST (UK) »

You mentioned that he had a child in 1846 - do you have the name of that child as I only have the last child being born in 1842...William Neil.

I never did find a death for him but you also mentioned a death was found in Ayrshire. His second wife Susan McCutcheon also died 21 Dec 1856, Kilmarnock, Ayr - what were the details that you had found for Robert in Ayrshire???

Was the consensus in the end to call the Mc Neil?

Fiona

The death certificate for Susan states death 1855, and surname spelt Neil.  There are variations, Neill, Neil or McNeil.  This can be quite common due to how things were written, also on Susan's death certificate her maiden name is Cutcheon and not McCutcheon.

Will need to look back on my files as to the information on Robert, not been researching for a while and will need to put it together the information I have so far.