Author Topic: Why Aren't Parish Records Searchable?  (Read 21523 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Why Aren't Parish Records Searchable?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 09 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Dobby I have written you off list on this subject.

I disagree with the last statement.  I think certs should be provided as the money can be used to preserve the information.  The GRO were going to put the certs online through a private contractor but legal reasons forced that to be stopped.

As for John's Wirksworth page.  Before people take that to heart they should maybe speak to him about his reasons for posting that statement.  Names and dates cannot be copyrighted.  Enough said and far too much money spent on lawyers to check this subject out and I am sick of giving the facts on here for amateur solicitors to start the subject up yet again a few months later to hear the same arguments dragged out.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 December 09 04:22 GMT (UK) »

Yep! MPs is the only answer! in my view! The Law Makers
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 December 09 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is a copy of a part of an email I have just sent to my MP.  Feel free to copy and present to your own MP.  In the new year I will be starting an E-Petition on this subject so hopefully all UK residents will get behind that

Rob

My second request.  Would it be possible to speak to the minister concerned with the cultural history in particular the Archives of each council are concerned.  As I am now a self employed Genealogist and prior to this for 20 years an hobbyist in the family history field I have seen the differences of access that occur in different county and local offices.  For example at Doncaster Archives I can digitally photograph anything I wish so long as i do not use flash yet in Derbyshire I am not allowed to period and in Nottinghamshire I can photo what I want so long as I pay £5 per day.  Also would it be possible for a directive to be made explaining to the archivists that they cannot stop reproduction (where documents will not be damaged) citing copyright that they dont hold or no longer exists or never exists.  For example some offices refuse to allow reproductions of wills that were made years ago citing the copyright.  If copyright existed it would have long run out anyway and should copyright still exist the copyright would lay with the estate of the deceased and or their forbears.  Therefore as a direct descendent that would be me or my parents and as such I should have a say in what access is allowed.  Present laws state copyright exists for 75 years after the authors death or 75 years after the longest surviving authors death where one or more author exists.  Allowing for retrospective dating of Wills this would allow wills from 1834 to be out of copyright.  As copyright didnt exist back in the mid 1800's its negated anyway.  Also some archivists claim that the church own copyright on parish registers, my understanding of copyright law is such that names and dates cannot be copyrighted and only the layout. It is also my understanding that copyright on databases last for 25 years from the date of conception, thus if this was the case then any record pre 1984 would now be out of copyright.

As you can see there needs to be some clear directions made to archivists and available to the public so that they all sing of the same hymn sheet and dont quote paragraphs from the copyright and patents act of 1988(I think) which actually dont relate to what they hold.
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 December 09 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

I'll send a copy of your email off  to my MP! later today- bed time now! been plastering all night.

Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 December 09 08:26 GMT (UK) »
My humble apologies genresearch  :-[  :-*  I didn't express myself very well.  My "dig" was perhaps at those websites who charge for accessing the data.  I am very well aware that many, many others carry out sterling work on transcribing parish registers, censuses, etc., and that these transcriptions are checked and double-checked before being issued.  Again my sincere apologies.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 December 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
When you get the incumbent to show you the registers still held at the church do you pay the Parochial Fees laid down by The Archbishops' Council?

Stan

Did you?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 31 December 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Stan,

Sorry I missed your post in my ramblings. No I have never had to pay for any searches made in registers held at the church.  Theonly time I have ever paid is when I have needed a certified copy of the baptism which archives and churches can give.  I have been known to donate something to the church as well but thats been my choice and not requested.
Catholic churches that hold registers can be a different subject as the priests dont always like having to get the registers out.  Some of these are now starting to deposit their registers or allowing FHS' to transcribe them

Rob

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 December 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I am surprised you did not have to pay anything as the fees are payable by law, for 2010 they are
Searching registers of baptisms or burials (including provision of one copy of any entry therein)          
(for up to one hour)    12.00 (Incumbent)    7.00 (Parochial Church Council)    19.00 (Total Fee Payable)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2009/uksi_20092106_en_1

As I used to be a Church Treasurer I would have made sure the fees were paid  ;D ;D ;D

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm a PCC member and minister here in Wales ... and I can see no valid reason why the incumbent should be paid £12 per hour for allowing the registers to be looked at.   OK to have to pay for an official copy of an entry, but why pay the incumbent otherwise ?   For what ??   Lifting the registers out of the safe and placing them on a table for viewing ?  There is surely no need for the vicar to be the one to do this ... any responsible PCC member with an interest in such matters would do it willingly ... and for free !   
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk