Author Topic: Why Aren't Parish Records Searchable?  (Read 21525 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why Aren't Parish Records Searchable?
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 10 January 10 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes the contract was advertised under E.U. rules (European Communities – Services – Competitive dialogues) for such contracts.
Spiderboy has giving the link that shows the tender conditions (downloadable pdf file).

The contract has a monetary value for the National Archives, it also provides a database of digitised images for the TNA to sell in the future (as the contract allows) to other companies.

What seems to have been forgotten is that without such contracts the National Archives would not have the resources (monetary, manpower, computer) to digitise the huge number of records that are currently being digitised.

These are not only census records but civil registration, wills, military and many others.
Some of these projects are big name projects such as the 1911 census
Others are low key such as the Merchant Seamen’s medals database.

These contracts are all carried out by private companies taking the risk that they will get a return for their outlay.
The National Archives do not pay the firms to digitise the records.
It is a tried and tested system that in the main works.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 10 January 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 11 January 10 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased to write I am now in a position to confirm that Find My Past handed over all the 1911 images to the National Archives in October.
It has also been confirmed that since that time any company could purchase the images (around 16 million) if they so wished.

Ancestry purchased the summary books (RG78) but have not so far purchased the schedules (RG14).

One last point and I should point out I am not connected to Ancestry or Findmypast other than as a customer.

My view is Findmypast took a huge gamble in scanning and releasing the 1911 census. They have done an excellent job in providing the images online.
I would encourage all family historians to reward their risky investment by continuing to use the findmypast site even if other companies jump on the bandwagon.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 11 January 10 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Guy,

Why would you say they took a big gamble?  I would have thought that it was a gurantee they would make their money back and a good helthy porfit.

I wont be using them once Ancestry have them up and running as I can use Ancestry for my business but they wont allow me to on findmypast.

Thx for the confirmation though

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Only if they had a total monopoly, for once, and it is a very rare situation free market competition has the potential to work.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)