Author Topic: Derbyshire leads for other Researchers?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derbyshire leads for other Researchers?
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I am a relative newcomer here so forgive me if I am speaking of something that already exists, but I had an idea that may help others have you have all helped me.

Today I received a copy of a 1915 Long Eaton Advertiser (My Gran's uncle/Grt Grans brother was the first person killed from the town during the Great War). Anyway, also on the page are various other birth/death notes and other stories that may be of interest, like court notes.  Chances are unless someone happens to do as I did and pull it from the British Newspaper Library (by pull I don't mean steal, got them to copy it for me lol) then these little notes of interest may not see the light of day.

I wondered if a thread here in the Derbyshire forum would be helpful to post such leads, with reference to the Source for others that come along later to search.  This single page from the LE Advertiser would have lots of information that may be of help to others.  It would become a huge thread over time being the only problem?

I am more than happy to transcribe the notes if people think it is a good idea.

Ashley.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire leads for other Researchers?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ashley

You could put a note in the Derbyshire Lookup Offers section saying you have the paper and prepared to do lookups for anyone who is interested.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right, these little snippets of info can be vital to somebody, thanks for taking the trouble to post, there is a heading at the top of this page "Derbyshire Resources" you could put a note on there
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
You could put a note in the Derbyshire Lookup Offers section saying you have the paper and prepared to do lookups for anyone who is interested.

Hi Carol,

I am more than happy to do that but I think the only problem is that the snippets are just that, which most people will not have any idea are there, where if they do a name search for their family may well come across the snippet if transcribed.

Just as two small examples from the bottom of the page which are quite fascinating I think, and would really be of interest if these were my family:

Source: Long Eaton Advertiser dated Friday February 26, 1915. Page 8. Transcription as original.

JUST GONE OUT
George Stanley, 6, Regent-street, Sandiacre, was summoned for riding a bicycle without a light at Sandiacre on 19th February.  At 12:25 a.m. when on duty in Longmoore-lane, P.c. Carrington heard something coming towards him.  It was the defendant, who had no light on his bicycle, his reason being that it had just gone out. It was his first offence, and on payment of 5s, costs there was no conviction.

ORDERED TO QUIT
Benjamin Rodgers. 1a, Kingston-avenue, Hallam Fields, the owner of No, 3a in the same street, asked for a warrant for the ejectment of his tenant, John Thornton. Mr. F Beardsley, for the applicant, stated that the defendant was a fitter at the Stanton Iron-works, and earned 59s, a week.  Defendant said he was unable to get another house yet. He was ordered to give up possession in 31 days.

There are others on the page and also a few births and deaths, and WW1 enrollment details from the town which I really think may be of interest at some point for someone who may not ever know these snippets exist. More than happy to type and post the rest if nobody objects, just not sure how best to put them.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Ashley

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Long Eaton Weekly Roll of Honour - Soldiers joining up during WW1 of course.

Source: Long Eaton Advertiser dated Friday February 26, 1915. Page 8. Transcription as original. Copy of original paper available.

Long Eaton Weekly Roll of Honour.

Samuel Straw - 8 Brookhill, Stapleford, 1st Notts and Derby
Ernest Straw - 8 Brookhill, Stapleford, 9th Notts and Derby
Jack West - 40, Clumber-street, Long Eaton, R.A.M.C
J.R. Rowe - 93 College-street, Royal Marines.
J.F. Hickling - 44 Bridge-street, Army Service Corps.
Thomas Walter Irons - 14, Trafalgar-square, Driver, R.F.A.
W. Flint - 174, Nottingham-road, New sawley, R.A.M.C
E.F. Flint - 23 Platt-lane, Sawley, R.A.M.C
Percy Towle - 52 Bennett-street, Sherwood Foresters
Fred Towle - 52 Bennett-street, Sherwood Foresters

2nd 5th Batt., Notts and Derby:-
F.H Lowe, 41 College-street
A.T. Parker, 27 Carrfield Avenue

I also have a feature and photo of my own relative Private arthur Frederick Worthington from the same page of the newspaper.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley

You could try putting your snippets on the Long Eaton page on the Genuki site.   I  have put a few of my own snippets on various pages, so I am sure they would be very grateful. The lady who looks after the Derbyshire pages is Rosemay Lockie.  I have her email address if you can't find it on the site

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/LongEaton/index.html

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Susierose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family in Long Eaton and found useful information at the old Long Eaton Advertiser offices, where they kept all back issues.  However, the Long Eaton Advertiser no longer exists as a newspaper, but there is a website:

http://woile.blogspot.com/

Just mentioned in case it is helpful with your research.  You are able to put notices etc. on the website.

Sue
Allen - Gloucestershire
Critchley - Gloucestershire
Greenwood - Kent
Norris - Kent
Usher - Warwickshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Interesting site. Thanks

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family in Long Eaton and found useful information at the old Long Eaton Advertiser offices, where they kept all back issues.  However, the Long Eaton Advertiser no longer exists as a newspaper, but there is a website:

http://woile.blogspot.com/

Just mentioned in case it is helpful with your research.  You are able to put notices etc. on the website.

Sue

Thanks Sue, good website.  I live in the South East now, but I am only 50 minutes outside central London so what I tend to do and may be helpful for others too is visit the British Newspaper library up at Colindale to view old WW1 and later copies of the LE Advertiser.  Found a smashing article and picture of my Gran's uncle (my grt grt uncle) who was the first person in Long Eaton killed during WW1 I think. My next plan is to note all family deaths and marriages and to go back through back copies to see if I can find any stories or pictures.  Only slight problem is they charge a lot for copies of pages of interest.