Author Topic: Charles BURROUGHS b Bury St Edmunds Burroughs Academy  (Read 5527 times)

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charles BURROUGHS b Bury St Edmunds Burroughs Academy
« on: Thursday 31 December 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Charles Burroughs was a school master who lived at I Mustow st Bury St Edmunds in the 1861, 71 and 1881 Censuses. I cannot find his birth which should be around 1807-8, according to his age in the census.

Was 1 Mustow St the location of Mustow House?  Is this where Burroughs Academy was? Any information on Charles' parentage or his Academy would be much appreciated.
Happy New Year from Sydney, Australia
Marie
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Burroughs b Bury St Edmunds Burroughs Academy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
The house next to the property you are asking about is for sale at the moment.

Go to
http://www.homes24.co.uk/doc.html?_a=view&id=1176998

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Charles Burroughs certainly lived at Mustow House from around 1874 to 1883, as these BMD announcements in the local Ipswich Journal, show and a CF Burroughs, of Bury St. Edmunds attended at school called White House, Debenham during 1852 and 1853, because along with others he received a prize, in both 1852 and 1853. If you give a few more clues than I can do a few more searches. There was a CF Burroughs, a landlord of a pub in Bury St Edmunds too, the Fox Inn, apparently, who was robbed.

The Ipswich Journal Saturday, June 19, 1852

WHITE HOUSE, DEBENHAM: At this establishment prizes were awarded to Masters E. Preston, Worlingworth, John and Henry Goodwin of Earl Soham, A. Kersey of Helmingham, G. Plowman, of Earl Stonham, Alexander Palmer and FR Kersey of Winston, Thos. Edwards of Wetheringsett and C. F Burroughs, of Bury St. Edmunds.

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, June 18, 1853

Same prizes, same school in 1853.

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, August 22, 1874
Deaths:
BURROUGHS-13th inst, at Grove Hall Assylum, Bow, Walter, second son of Mr. Charles Burroughs, of Mustow House, Bury St Edmunds.

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, July 25, 1874
Marriage
DAWSON-BURROUGHS: 17th inst.,at St. James, Bury St. Edmunds, by the Rev. Cyril F Wilson, vicar, Mr. W. Dawson, postmaster, to Clara, eldest daughter of Charles Burroughs, Esq., all of Bury St. Edmunds
The Ipswich Journal, Saturday, August 10, 1878
DEATHS
BURROUGHS-1st June, at Sydney, New South Wales,
Frederick Charles, eldest surviving son of Mr. Charles Burroughs, Mustow House, Bury St. Edmunds, aged 33years.

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, July 3, 1880
Marriages
BURROUGHS-GILL-26th ult.,Charles Burroughs, of Mustow House, Bury St. Edmunds, to Jane Wallace, second daughter of the late William Seth Gill, Physician, Islington

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, August 14, 1880
Marriages
AMIES-BURROWS-10th inst.,Thomas Andrew Arthur Amies, of Ashbourne,Derbyshire, to Florence Amy, daughter of Charles Burroughs, of Mustow House, Bury St. Edmunds.

The Ipswich Journal,  Saturday, September 25, 1880

Deaths:
BURROUGHS-27th July, at Adelaide, Australia, in her 26th year, Oliver Westrup, youngest son of Charles Burroughs, Mustow House, Bury St. Edmunds.

The Ipswich Journal  Saturday, September 9, 1882
Marriages
Thurlough ~Burroughs: 31st Ult: at Clapham, Mr. William Thurlow, Sudbury, to Jessie Eliza, daughter of Charles Burroughs, Mustow House, Bury St. Edmunds.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
In 1865, the boarding school was at 2 Mustow Street, Bury St Edmunds
http://www.rootschat.com/links/083d/

Tom

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 10 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pat and Tom for your interesting replies.    Sad that two of Charles' sons died in Australia as young men. he must have thought this to be the last outpost of the world!

Charles Burroughs married Priscilla Westrup in 1839 in Bury St Edmunds. She is believed to have died about 1877. THank you Tom for the info about his 2nd wife, Jane Wallace.

I am waiting for the go ahead from the descendants, to order the marriage certificate to find out who Charles' parents were, but was hoping to get a "head start" while waiting.

In the 1851 census, the elder daughter Clara P was a pupil at South House, Newmarket All Saints, Cambridgeshire.  I wonder if she is the CF Burroughs receiving the school prizes in 1852 and 53. Poor little thing was only 9 when she was sent to boarding school.

Florence Burroughs who married Thomas Amies is the ancestor of the lady for whom I am researching. She died at Sudbury, Suffolk in 1908 but I can't find the death of Thomas Andrew Arthur Amies yet. Their son Thomas Reginald Amies with his wife and youing son, emigrated to Sydney about 1908, were here for a few years, then returned home for a while (holiday??) before settling back on the Central Coast of NSW.

Would ther ebe photos of Charles' school amnd maybe Charles in an Education Archive somewhere?

Many thanks,
Marie
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Marie,
I have no connection with Bury St Edmunds or Suffolk, so can only you perhaps you should try http://www.burypastandpresent.org.uk/

or maybe the moderator can help or http://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk/groups/g-bury.html

Just wonder if Thomas Amies was an ironmonger-if so then he had a business in Mayfield, Staffordshire.

The Derby Mercury  Wednesday, May 8, 1889
London Gazette:

First meeting and Dates of Public Examinations: Thomas A. Amies of Mayfield, Staffordshire, and Ashbourne, ironmonger, first meeting May 8th, 2pm.,Official Receiver's, Derby. (Sounds like business was in trouble)

Sent a PM

Tom

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

Being sent to boarding school at age 9 is not unusual (my husband was a similar age when he left the family for school).  Boarding schools today are very different to those of a few years ago.

Mustow Street has several large houses, it is not far from the Angel Hill and Cathedral in Bury.

You will find some pictures at http://www.burystedmunds.co.uk/bury-st-edmunds-walk.html

Not sure if you can access the following - might be easier to just put in Mustow Street Bury St Edmunds IP33 into a search engine -
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLR_enGB306GB306&q=Mustow+street+bury+st+edmunds&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Mustow+St,+Bury+St+Edmunds,+Suffolk+IP33&gl=uk&ei=3z4-S6naCZmI4gbYsJmqCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

Having had a look myself, I am wondering if this 1 Mustow Street was in fact on the corner with Northgate Street, which was the most prestigious street in Bury at one time.
There have been schools and 'Dame Schools/Academies' in Northgate Street over the years too.

Certainly the Bury Past/Present Society have a wonderful collection of photographs, some of which can be found on their web site.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 January 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Marie,,

The Ipswich Journal,  Saturday, June 23, 1877
DEATHS
15th Inst, in her 59th year of her age after a short illness, Priscilla, the beloved wife of Mr. C. Burroughs, Mustow House, Bury St Edmund's.

Tom