Author Topic: Patrick Joseph Burns  (Read 6014 times)

Offline homemaker291

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Burns
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Haven't we had enough posts for now. 

I have all the records and just can't figure out which is right.

Sue

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
If you have queries about US records it's probably best to post a new topic on the USA board and try to sort them out there.

The idea of rootschat is that queries can be responded to by anyone who is able to offer advice. Private messages are usually used for discussions on possible living people or for some further specific discussion.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Sue, I've removed your email address because it's against the rules to post email address, details of living people, etc. on the boards. See Posting Guidelines in Help pages-
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

As with all reasearch you need to start assembling the facts (even if they seem to provide conflicting details) and use them as a basis for further searching. You may 'have all the records' but obviously you are still puzzled and we know even less to start with which is why we are asking you questions.

Each U.S. census record should help find out about Patrick's past. At the very least they should list his birthplace ('Ireland' or a U.S. state perhaps?) If he was born outside the U.S. the census information will give a year of arrival in U.S. (while not always accurate it will at least give a starting point to search passenger lists). If he was born in Ireland there are various sources we can suggest you look at- if you give us more details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline homemaker291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
OK.  I have been posting this for years and have only gotten more confused.  So far it seems that no one in the family has any correct information.

Thanks.  You have all the information I have.

As far as I can find out, the name of Gilroy is from the Fermangh area of Ireland.

Any more help would be great.

Sue

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
maybe if we just try to concentrate here on the possible Irish connection..  check if this sounds correct :

Name : Patrick Joseph Burns
 Estimated Year of Birth : sometime before 1880
 Place of Birth : Ireland?,  possibly Cork
 Parents : Charles Burns / Alice Gilory

does the orphanage record from 1880 give any indications of his age ?

I am not sure about the surnames here ... did Alice marry twice ?  (.. Charles Dawes who married Alice Gilroy....)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline homemaker291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:57 GMT (UK) »
It says - Patrick was 7 and Anna was 10, both born in New York State and their parents born in Ireland.

I cannot find out who is holding those records.  I have written the Catholic diocese in Syracuse, New York where they should be. 

Thanks.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Sue, just to clarify the Irish connection for the family- if Patrick Burns was born in New York State is it the parents you are trying to find in Ireland? I think there's still some confusion over names for us reading the thread- Alice Gilroy mother? what's Patrick's father's name?

Offline homemaker291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
On his Social Security card it was listed as Charles Burns and his mother listed as Alice Gilroy.

I just contacted his son, great uncle Fred who will be 100 in April but he doesn't know anything either.

I am trying to see if anybody has any information on:

Patrick Burns, b. 1786 Ireland, died on May 18, 1875 in Broome County, New York State, listed as a tailor and born in Ireland.  I posted that in 2006 but got no replies from Rootsweb.com.  He was listed in the death records of the 1875 Census of Broome County, New York.

Thanks.

Sue Myers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Social Security cards usually just have person's name and SS number. Do you mean you've been able to get hold of Patrick's application/records? Bear in mind that the information in those records are what's been filled out by the applicant who may have lied or not known accurate dates, names, etc.

Patrick Burns, b. 1786 Ireland, died on May 18, 1875 in Broome County, New York State, listed as a tailor and born in Ireland.  I posted that in 2006 but got no replies from Rootsweb.com.  He was listed in the death records of the 1875 Census of Broome County, New York.

It's not surprising that your post on this Patrick Burns has had no answers if posted under one of Rootsweb's Irish boards. Civil registration of births in Ireland started 1864 so this Patrick will have no birth certificate and to find any surviving Irish records you'll need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
The advice to find details of this Patrick Burns is much the same as what I said about the other (although this one probably hearder to find). Check all available U.S. census records from 1870 back- find wehre Patrick lived in U.S. and when he might have come to U.S. Do you have any death records for him? (might be some clues there).

However, I think the thread is complicated enough without going into this so if you like I can split this into 2 linked topics to avoid any more confusion.