Author Topic: re documenting the tree  (Read 1790 times)

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
re documenting the tree
« on: Friday 01 January 10 05:38 GMT (UK) »
My trees have now become a forest and I really need to get some order before digging out any more ancestors. I find that the search and find is the most exciting part of this research, and have spent only a little time sorting out all the paperwork. I am finding that I have not been very good at making notes on where I have found things and this is coming back to bite me. I need to sort this out sooner rather than later as I have now found another generation!! My dilemma - do people use a combination of computer programmes and paper family sheets to organise their trees? Should I list my 'trees' on a website? In which case, should I stick to just one website? What happens when I find my tree is able to attach itself to someone else's tree on a website - in this case Rootsweb. Do I start a tree of my own on that site and any links are then recognised? Any help at this stage would be most appreciated.

And thanks for the response giving me the correct name for Gurtnadumma - it is this info that has just unveiled the next generation! A great find at 11.30pm on the last day of 2009. Cheers,

Offline lmsfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: re documenting the tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I can’t say all of my notes are organized, but it is something I am working on.  I use a computer program and every now and then, print out family group sheets.  I am, probably unnecessarily, worried about just having the information on my computer.   My sister had a computer crash and even the backup of her information would not load back in - what she printed was all she had.  I put my family group sheets in sleeves in binders. When I find something new, I can just add a pages to the binder. 

I have a lot of random papers from when I first started researching.  To avoid adding to the pile, now I put all notes into my program - some labeled as “possible”.   For example, I had a couple possible 1880 census that could be my gg-grandfather.  I noted them, and later when I found his obit, I realized the siblings mentioned in the obit were the same as one of the possible census.  Keeping this note with the person in my program (or in the binder) was much quicker than sorting though a pile of random notes.  Also, it helps me not waste time looking up things I already found.

If I find something on a website, I copy and paste the link of the site into my notes with the information found.  If I have a thought about a person when analyzing what I have found, I will put my initials and the word “note”.  Sometimes it is even a note of what I have searched and what to look for next. 

I personally don’t have an online tree, so I am not the best person to advise you regarding that, but I would think you would want to have your tree as your own.  I have found many well researched, but others with errors.  Someone who has an online tree would probably be able to advise you better on this.

Hope this gives you some ideas on what will work best for you.

Lisa
Brooks (Dorset) & Barlow (Lancashire/Cheshire)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Alfresco,
A name which i have confirmed with certificate or parish record,i add to my PAF5 tree,if need be, make a note to self to check further relationship.I have a 250 page spiral backed note book with pages headed with name and area for each family,along with folders for each name containing copies of replies to posts on forum,and a seperate clear presentation file for copies of certificates (on photo quality paper).
I seem to be able to have to hand any information available without tearing my hair out,except for the photo of my grandparents which has learnt time travel!!
Eric
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much Lisa/Eric - picked up a couple of good ideas. I definitely like paper although the computer has it's place as well. Thanks for the tip on the photo quality paper - I was looking at some of my printouts today and thinking that they weren't going to be decipherable long term. And I hadn't thought about a ring binder - great idea especially being able to add pages/sleeves and being able to place them in the appropriate place without having to shuffle everything about. First stop tomorrow - the stationery dept. Cheers, Alfresco