Author Topic: Ripon Road Bournemouth?  (Read 14779 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ripon Road Bournemouth?
« on: Saturday 02 January 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help, I have two pictures which I believe to be taken in Ripon Road,Bournemouth.  A relative of mine owned a Dairy in no 36 Ripon Road and I was told by my mother that T J Austin (nephew to my great grandfather) owned the two houses next door.  So I took a look and took photos of the three houses involved the first being 36 Ripon Road which is where the dairy was, no 34 which is next door, and 26 which is next door to no 34. (Strange how they are numbered).
The second picture I am having problems with as it appears to have a name (behind fir tree) but I cannot read it.  Can anyone recognise these properties?  Are they taken here in Bournemouth or are they in South Wales? 
The first house looks as though it reads Camley/Canley Vale, but has the number 135 or 155?
These photos were in a box of photos left by a relative and past to me to see if I could work out where the picture was taken.
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ripon Road Bournemouth?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Though they could of course really be anywhere in the UK, both these houses are  built in styles  which are common in the area of Bournemouth (Winton BH9) where Ripon Road is located, so as a Bournemouth resident, and without visiting the site I am quite confident both are in Bournemouth.If it is a name on the second house then it ends in "A". Could also though less likely be a house No. eg 18A if the property has been subdivided, though less likely at that time.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I went down to the local bournemouth library and the house name Canley/Camley Vale no 135 or 155 turned out to be 135 Pine Road Winton.  The other picture is a little harder to work out, if I could only find out what the name is I would be able to look it up in the Street directory Villa etc names.  I have attached the picture cut down to the name plague can anyone help me work out what name this house is called?  Sometime like W or V or N __PA.  PLEASE HELP :'(
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Pleased you got one sorted, but sorry can't see enough of the other to help.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
The whole picture is at the top of the page, with the 'maid' standing in the front garden.  The name of the house is behind the fir tree.  I have tried several methods trying to work out the name.

Many thanks Trish

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the house styles are typical of the Bournemouth area.   It used to be common to name a house after where you come from, so having a Welsh name as the house name fits.   Sorry I can't make out the other house name either though.

It looks like it starts with a V or W, then 2 more characters, then P or R and finally A.  I hope you come up with the answer.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I found one thats Pine Road Winton Bournemouth but the other is a bit harder to work out.  The funny thing is I think I know the house but cannot remember for the life of me where and when!

Thanks anyway regards Trish

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, why not ask the editor of the Bournemouth Echo to publish the picture to see if any reader can identify the house?

Offline g0bby-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 10 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Trish,

what date are we looking at for the photos ? My dad grew up in Pine Road, so, if you can let me know a rough date, he might be able to help.

cheers,
        Dale.