Author Topic: William John Ross b 1855  (Read 1508 times)

Offline cbooks1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Ross b 1855
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello
According to the English 1911 census my GG Grandfather stated that he was born in Upper/High Stoan in Antrim in 1855. Could anybody tell me how I can find out more information please?
Marie

Offline cbooks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William John Ross b 1855
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
According to my gg grandfather's information posted by him in the 1911 English Census, he was born in High Stroan?upper Stoan in Antrim in 1855. His father's nane was James Ross. Would anybody have any ideas on finding more information, birth certificates etc.
Thanks
Marie

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Re: William John Ross b 1855
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,

Welcome to RootsChat.

There are a lot of very helpful researchers on this site but you have to provide all the information you can.

Was your gggrandfather married in England or Ireland? What was gggrandmother's name? ggg Children? ggg Siblings?

As registrations of birth didn't start until 1864 you'll have to find the church where the family attended. What was their religion?

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline cbooks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
William John Ross was married in Plymouth England 9th November 1887. He married Jane Phillips. William was 32 years old at the time. At the time of his marriage he was a colour Sergeant in the Cameron Hilanders.  According to the marriage cert. it stated that William's father was James Ross (deceased) and he was a Farmer.
This is the only information that I have on him at this time.

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello
According to the English 1911 census my GG Grandfather stated that he was born in Upper/High Stoan in Antrim in 1855. Could anybody tell me how I can find out more information please?
Marie

according to www.thecore.com/seanruad  Stroan Upper is a Townland of 253acres in the Barony of Lower Dunluce, in the Civil Parish of Derrykeighan, in the Poor Law Union of  Ballymoney.

Derrykeighan is located about 8 miles East of the town of Coleraine at the junction of the B66 and B67, about 7 miles south of Bushmills.

OTTO

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Jane Phillips, whom he married in 1887 was the daughter of John Phillips and Grace RODDA, and a cousin of mine. I know very little of Jane and William,
They did have 1 daughter, Jane Maud 1897 which I have confirmed, but any other children i am not sure of.
I have, on my file a son  Arthur Phillips Ross, married to Daisy Marley 1922.
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Being in Australia, I am baffled by the places named, which country are they in?
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Being in Australia, I am baffled by the places named, which country are they in?

Stroan Upper is in County Antrim and not far from Ballymoney which is in the same county.
You can use the earlier mentioned SeanRuad site to find townlands, etc. in Ireland which is very useful. The Poor Law Union (PLU) is usually the same as the registration district. For example, if you wanted to find vital records in Stroan Upper the SeanRuad site says Ballymoney PLU so when you look for say a death it will likely be under Ballymoney Registration District here-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Another good site to locate a townland with maps is this one- here's Stroan Upper-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/dunluce-lower/derrykeighan/dervock/stroan-upper/
If you zoom out in the map you'll see it's closer to Ballymoney than Coleraine.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!