Author Topic: the "bloody" Bells from middlebie  (Read 21518 times)

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
Re: the "bloody" Bells from middlebie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 May 21 01:23 BST (UK) »
Ruskie...I have these Bells in my tree and many, many more...I am researching Bells from Canonbie ... Francis Bell chr 17 Oct 1768 in Lymiecleugh, Canonbie
Graham:  Westerkirk, Hutton & Corrie, Canonbie
(5th GGGGG)William Graham & Agnes Byers
(4th GGGG)James Graham & Isabella Borthwick
(3rd GGG)William Graham & Hannah Bell
(GG)Margaret Hogan, 1860 Mhow, India, Hoggan -- County Down, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 May 21 02:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching Bells from Canonbie ... Francis Bell chr 17 Oct 1768 in Lymiecleugh, Canonbie

For the benefit of others...

Francis Bell 1768 was the son of Francis Bell & Margaret m/s Nic(h)ol(l)

Other children born to Francis & Margaret (all Canonbie):

Euphin 1761
Jean 1762
Agnes 1767
Adam 1771
Mary 1774

Going by the gaps there may be others?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 May 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy. This is my brother in law's family. :) It's been a while since I worked on this line.

Which of Francis's (chr 1768 Lymiecleugh) children are you descended from? My brother in law is descended from his son William b 1799.

I don't have Bells earlier than the Francis who married Margaret Nichol. Were you able to go back any further?

Annie, children I have for Francis Bell and Margaret Nichol are:

John 1760
Euphin 1761
Jean 1762
Margaret 1764
Agnes 1767
Francis 1768
Adam 1771
Mary 1774

I do have question marks beside some of them. At the time I was just following the direct line so didn't follow up on siblings.

Offline cdnbooklover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
My great-great grandfather, Clements Bell, was also from Glenavy, County Antrim. He was born 27 Mar 1793 as listed in the St Aidan's Church of Ireland records. John Bell was listed as his father. A sister, Frances Bell, was born 19 Mar 1795. Clements Bell's wife, Sarah Ann Palmer from Killead, wrote that Clements was from The Leap, Glenavy which we found in the Ballyvorally district when we visited Ireland 3 years ago. Clements and Sarah Ann emigrated to Ontario in 1846.

I'm interested in learning about their connection to other Bells from Glenavy parish. Was my ancestor, John Bell, a brother to William James? Does anyone know if the BELL families in this area were all relatedS? Stephen in reply #16 posted that he believed his ancestor, William James Bell, came to Ulster from the Middlebie area of Scotland.  I also would be very interested to know If anyone has information on any of the Middlebie Bells moving to Ulster during the time of the Plantation. Hoping to hear an update from someone on your research!

Offline kemp42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 October 23 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been helping a lady in Canada to research, she is the 4x gt g'dau of Rachel Bell and John Burnet. I have taken Rachel Bell back another couple of generations. I live in Middlebie and am familiar with Woodlands. If you want headstone photos or photos of Woodlands as it is now, I'd be happy to oblige. Regards, Ian