Author Topic: Look up immigration 1928 please  (Read 5464 times)

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up immigration 1928 please
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help in our family legend please and verify whether or not the legend is true.
According to an old story our Great Uncle James (Jim) Eckersley, born 1881 in Bolton Lancashire,his wife Jenny (Jane?) and children Frederick and Rita with their respective partners departed the UK for Canada immediately after the death of Great grandfather John Eckersley in May 1928.
Apparently he told no one they were emigrating and the first they knew was when he sent a telegram to two of his brothers from the docks informing them he and the family were off to Canada.
I am trying to verify if this family did emigrate to Canada but can find no evidence of them on any ship leaving the UK between 1920 and 1930.
The only absolute fact I have is Jim's birth on 1/11/1881.
The names of his family came from elderly relatives who have now died and who were only young children at that time.
Any advice or help will be gratefully received.
Thank you
PS I have tried to find his marriage and births of children with names as above with no luck so far. Eckersley is a common name in Bolton and surrounding areas.
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Look up immigration 1928 please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple ref. for a James Eckersley born 1881 in Bolton who came to Canada.

Did he have a brother Samuel?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 09:00 GMT (UK) »
HI Karen
Thanks for looking. There was no brother Samuel, nor any cousins with that name  :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
old stories have been turned about a lot on here, so never hold them as true...you'll need to see that telegram.
ie there ARE two, and only 2 James Eckersly listed as coming to Canada between 1925 and1935....and both are in 1928 but one is 18 and one 20.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigration-1925/001012-100.01-e.php The old story may have been a different family...
An older couple in their 50's, Joseph and a Mary Han. and a few months later a Robert came in 1928...all the rest were younger...all told 9 entries for 1928 ...all 21 entries are here. http://www.rootschat.com/links/07sj/
I imagine not all records survive, nor might they be complete.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJ
thanks for the links - the mystery deepens! There is a very elderly relative still alive and my cousin has checked with her again re the Uncle Jim story.
She is adamant that it was Jim who 'did a runner' when his father died leaving his house and all the furniture to Jim's eldest sister. She is also convinced Jim went to Canada. Unfortunately I still haven't found a Will to check if the inheritance info is correct, and no one has the telegrams.
I will keep digging!
Thanks again for your help

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you have this family on British census?  You might find that Uncle "Jim" had a first name that he used when he emmigrated.  Finding him on the 1891 through to 1911 census might also clarify his wife's name and those of his children.  Finding his daughter's name would make it possible to find her married name and even that possibility might prove easier to find them on emmigration records as Eckersley could be spelled wrong or mistrancribed from ships records.

Did Jim ever return to England?  There is a record of a James Eckersley, 49, Engr., travelling from New York to Liverpool on the Laurentic, 20 April 1932.  He classes himself as a tourist, country of last permanent residence - Canada and his destination 546 St. Helens Rd Bolton, Lanc.

Debbie

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to find them on any UK census but cannot!
What a shame that James was born in Nov 1881 and missed the census.
There isn't a Bolton born James with a dad called John in 1891.
Nor can I find the death of a John Eckersley in 1928  :(

Was rather hoping to follow them through,but there are no Rita Eckersleys at all that fit- all very odd.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Carol . Jim is on the 1891 census and 1901 census with the family as James Eckersley.
1891 at 373 St. Helen' Road, Bolton (is this a coincidence with the James who came back to Bolton in 1932?) His age is spot on Debbie.

In 1901 James is single, aged 19, a yeast dealer's assistant working for his father John and living at 50 Morris Green Lane Bolton.
The family continued to live at 50 Morris Green Lane where his father John died aged 77 on May 15th 1928. He is buried at Heaton cemetery.
Most of the family are still at home in the 1911 census at Morris Green Lane, but James is not there. I assume he must have married between 1901 and 1911. I cannot find James at all in the 1911 census. I think I am going to have to search for a possible marriage certificate. The problem is that  am unsure of the wife's name, and even if he married in Bolton.
There are 2 possibles on BMD in Dec Q 1906 at Bolton (if that's where he wed) - a Jane Westhead who could conceivably have been called Jenny, and a Sarah Jane Malone, again may have been called Jenny. There is a Frederick Eckersley birth in 1910 too, but as you say Carol, absolutely no Rita which is frustrating. I've racked my brains trying to think what Rita could be short for!
 ??? ??? ???

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
If you tick the box for variables of Rita- you get all the Margarets!

Thanks for the info ,on 1891 and 1901 I can see him now,goodness knows why it gave me no matches earlier.....stoopid website   :P

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk