Author Topic: Look up immigration 1928 please  (Read 5461 times)

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up immigration 1928 please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Golly gosh, my head's spinning, you have found so much so quickly!! I need to look carefully at all of these links.
I have seen the 1911 census and I am almost sure the James, brother in law of Robert Ormerod in the census is not mine. My James definitely did not have a sister called Sarah.
The Rita Eckersley McLeod obit looks interesting - age wise she could be James' daughter.
Not sure about Carol's James coming back to UK in 1920. The age and name of the daughter could fit, the religion does not fit too well. The whole Eckersley family were strong RC, and James was baptised RC. Although that's not to say he did not change his religion at some point!
I need a strong coffee!!

Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 February 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update for all you helpful people - I asked the lady at Ontarioobits for the full transcript and this shows that Rita McLeod Eckersley is definitely from my family. The obit names her brother Fred and her late husband Raymond and gives her birth year of 1914. So two bits of the family story is definitely incorrect - that Rita went with her parents and her husband to Canada and that they had no further contact with the family in England. If they went in 1927 Rita was only 13 so hardly likely to have been married and I also had the name of her husband as Ray, meaning someone in the family who went to Canada must have continued contact with the family left in England.
The search continues!  :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 February 10 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update!  Glad it was the right obituary for you.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
whew, very glad that I never spun wheels&  followed up on the Manitoba ones...
These were the only surnames close to Eckersley, living in Toronto for the 1911, just in case they followed rellies.
I'll add the entry...as a Rachel Edith WRIGHT married an Abraham ECKERSLEY in 1905 Bolton...      
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=77712&highlight=5
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJ
Glad you didn't spend too much time on the other Eckersleys. Very grateful for all your help on this one.
That Abraham and Rachel information is interesting - not my family but definitely ringing distant bells in my head. I'm thinking it may be someone who contacted me years ago for info on Bolton Eckersleys. I'll have to go back through my notebooks!