Author Topic: Electoral Rolls ~ Hemel Hempstead  (Read 6048 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Electoral Rolls ~ Hemel Hempstead
« on: Monday 04 January 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me out please

I am trying to find the details of one Agnes Alice Taylor, who in the 1911 census was living in 43 Cotterell(s) Road, Boxmoor in Hemel Hempstead. Agnes was married to William Taylor, a theatrical agent, who was lodging elsewhere in 1911. They have a son called Willie.  Agnes is living with Clara Abdale, a long time friend of hers.

My problem is that I cannot find Agnes's death anywhere, I have ordered 10 likely death certs, all of which proved to be the wrong ones!!  To this end I was wondering if anyone out there in Rootschat land could spare the time to have a look at the electoral rolls for the Cotterell Road area to see how long Agnes lived at number 43?

Thanks you very much in advance :)

Margaret

Offline geh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls ~ Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Hope I am not too late to respond.  I have just received an e-mail from a Kevin McCarthy - who is researching Victorian swimmers - advising me that Agnes Beckwith married my great great grandmother's brother, William Taylor, and asking if anyone in the family knows where they ended up.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to help as we had no idea that we were related to such a famous person!

His theory is that she moved with William and her son to South Africa, which actually ties in with someone else in our family who also had theatrical connections.

If you have made any progress in the last couple of years I am sure Kevin would be delighted to hear from you (if you are not already in contact).

Best wishes, 

Gill

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Gill

Thanks for that,  The academic that I am the research assistant for knows Kevin and they have been corresponding for some years.  We are both on the same track trying to find the whereabouts of your ancestor and his family.  I have made a bit of a breakthrough, which for now I cannot 100% confirm, just about 98% at the moment, so am still working to try and break down the wall!! 

Do I take it you have relatives that lived/live in South Africa or in this country with theatrical connections.  I, like Kevin, had tracked William Taylor down to yourself and family but he does seem to be a tad illusive.

Thank you for replying, it is very much appreciated.
Margaret

Offline geh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Margaret

Thank you for your reply.  I have since corresponded with Kevin and he did tell me that you had already been in contact and were working towards the same goal.

When you are in a position to provide more information I would be fascinated to hear what became of them as no-one in the family seems to know anything about our illustrious ancestor!  You're right - they certainly are an elusive bunch, but perhaps this was deliberate?!

Our South African connection is tantalising if not conclusive.  The grandchildren of Julia Mary Ann Taylor - William's elder sister - had a tumbling act called "The Odellys Troupe" and performed extensively in England in the 1920's/1930's.  One of the children, Nellie O'Dell, married another artiste called Harry Prescott and joined his troupe The Seven (Royal) Hindustans.  It appears that both troupes visited South Africa in the mid-late 1920's and I have a photo of Harry taken in Cape Town.  Having a great uncle in the business could be a compelling reason to travel to such a far-flung location. (I see that Clara Abdale's 1936 voyage took 40 days!)

If you Google "odellys flickr" you can see their picture.  If you would like more information please feel free to contact me directly on (*).

Very best wishes, Gill

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php