Author Topic: Harley Street Wheatley  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
Harley Street Wheatley
« on: Monday 04 January 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there this thread has been combined.

I am looking for a statue and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about statues in England. I am looking for one with the surname Wheatley.  apparently it was after a Wheatley man that was working on Harley street.

His name my have been Alfred or William Wheatley any information on this would be appreciated.
William died around 1900.
the statue may have been commisioned around 1881- 1895.

hello there

i am looking for help in trying to connect to any wheatley family.  my wheatley family originally comes from the uk.
there is a clue and i am wondering if someone can help me with it.

there is a statue of a Doctor/surgeon Wheatley on Harley Street. but i dont know his name.
I am told by my great aunt that he is her either uncle or great uncle.  if anyone has any information about this man i would really appreciate it.
apparently he had a town (wheatley) named after him.
i have not been able to find much information out about my wheatley family and I could really use the help please.

so far this is what i have on my wheatley family

my great grand father Henry John Wheatley
my great great grandfather James Charles John Burram Wheatley
he came over to australia with is wife Ellen jane. they were married at
St olave in 1875 and between 1875 and 1884 they arrived in australia with 2 girls (but i have no record of them coming over nor can i find out who the 2 girls are.)
anyways James charles john burram wheatley was born to parents James Wheatley and Elizabeth Burram in 1851
james and elizabeth were married on 1849 (this was james 2nd marriage.) (his first wife Hannah gave him a son alfred in 1840 and a daughter sophia 1841)
on the parish records it lists James father as william wheatley)Elidabeth had at least 3 kids that i can find  james charles john wheatley, sarah wheatley and william h wheatley.
my great aunt has since told me that there was a charles james wheatley as well
i am not sure exactly how the doctor is related wheather hes james son or brother or he could be williams son or brother or even uncle.

i am asking people out there to help me find a name for this doctor surgeon as he might be able to shed light as to what wheatley branch i belong too.

i realise this is all confusing i live in western australia and cant get over to england to see the statue.  my uncle has seen it, so i am wondering if anyone knows of what i am talking about.

thank u for ur time

Tracey Kelly
if u need any more info please email me at (*)
i would be so greatful for any help given

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Harley Street Wheatley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Harley St. is just that a street with pavements so a statue if any sort would be in one of the properties I would imagine.As coincidence would have it there is a Wheatley St. just down the road from Harley St.
As for a town,towns in England date back many centuries & any new ones didn't generally appear until the 1940's onward.Maybe a Londoner might know more.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

History of Harley Street:

http://www.harleystreetguide.co.uk       link in left hand column

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
There is certainly no town named after him, on the contrary the Wheatley  surname is a habitation name from any of various places in for example in the counties of Essex, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire,  Oxford, and West Yorkshire, so called from hwaete Wheat + leah wood, clearing.   

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nanny Jan 

Thank u for emailing me that link. i have looked at the site but there is no mention of statues.
but i appreciate u helping me out it was very kind of you.

nan looking back i think i will contact some of the addresses on that harley street link u gave. maybe someone will be kind and have a look for me

Jim1  i have never been to england. i live in western australia .. and in some places we actually have some statues on the side of the footpath. 
so when i was told that there was a statue of a ancestor on harley street or along it somewhere i was wondering where it was.

stan how do u know the town wasnt named after him. the only way u would know is if u knew the man that i am seeking? do u know his name? if not then u wouldnt know if he had a town named after him, and as i said in the post i am not sure historically where he fits into my family i just know that he does

thank u for ur time  i appreciate everyones imput
Tracey kelly
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Towns in England are not usually named after a person; I can only think of Saltaire in Yorkshire named after Titus Salt who built it to house his workers.   I think the practice of naming a town after a person was more common in the colonies.

I think you will have to find the history of the doctor/surgeon Wheatley by tracing the ancestors of your great aunt.

Good Luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of towns in the UK named after people.  Milton Keynes is one, Telford (named after Thomas Telford) is another but there are no towns named after a Wheatley.  As Stand as said Wheat LEah means wheat fields.

Rather than becoming fractious when someone posts it may well be better to take a step back and look at what is said.  Just because a family story as been passed down through the family it doesn't mean they are true.  It took my mum and aunt a very long time to accept that the stories in my family couldn't have been true.  In fact it took me throwing certificates in front of them and saying "Well you explain how that story can be true" for them to accept it.  I only have one more to knock down and then I am done so to speak but that is nigh on impossible.

I may be wrong but doesnt the LMA hold an archive of Harley Street?

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Milton Keynes, Telford, and Peterlee (in Durham) are post war new towns. The places named Wheatley in the UK are ancient settlements, some of which, if not all, are mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. As Nanny Jan points out the custom of naming towns after people is common in the former colonies and the USA, but apart from the few mentioned not in the UK.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
If you to the Ordnance Survey Gazetteer at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/didyouknow/ you can find all the places named Wheatley. There are just four villages named Wheatley and another four with Wheatley in the name.
Just to add that even the aristocracy get their titles from names of places, not the other way round  :)

Stan :)