Author Topic: Harley Street Wheatley  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
Re: Harley Street Wheatley
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 02:19 GMT (UK) »
thank u jorose for ur help

if u look at the information on the staffordshire wheatleys you will find that i am the one who researched the staffordshire wheatleys.  i have since found out he only came to staffordshire after his second marriage. and that with his first marriage James actually lived in Wednesbury.  but i am interested in this because my aunt also says that  James also had a son named Charles James and the ones in staffordshire dont mention him. so i have been confused about this myself. is it possible that i could be looking into the wrong family?

i havent seen my aunt in many years but my grandmother told me she had an uncle charlie that went of to the war and didnt come back.   i wish i could ask her to give me more information but she died in may. which is why i am doing the family tree. i wanted to know where we come from and to make a family tree so that my kids can remember her.

thank u nell for doing the walk for me :)  my uncle went to england in the 1970's so there is the strong possibility that the statue has been removed by now.

Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 09:12 GMT (UK) »
it's not just a case of whether a stautue has been removed though, but whether there is actually room to place a statue in the street. You couldn't have it blocking the road after all!

most statues in London streets are actually in squares - and Harley St isn't a square.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this helps but it's a walk around Harley St. area looking at staues:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/london/maryleb.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Sounds to me like you are relyhing too much on family lore and not enough on facts.  The advice I would give is to get the certs the parish register entries etc and work back and then connect to these if in fact you do.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at the tree of a friend of mine.

Her family folklore had it that they were descended from a very eminent 17th century English physician.

I have tried working both forwards from him, and backwards from her, and I cannot make the link. However we quickly discovered that she is certainly descended from a very eminent 19th century Irish physician of the same name!

I suspect that the family stories told of Dr X and more recently, someone tried to find out more about Dr X and picked the wrong dr. It's easily done.

The moral of the story - everything needs checking.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I know Harley Street relatively well, have no memories of statues or sculptures on the main street  :-\

This is a great overview on sculptures etc. in the general area http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/london/maryleb.htm

Monica 

added:  ;D Aghadowey, see you had already put up that link above!

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
thank u annie  i have been told a few chinese whispers with my grandmothers mothers side of the family too.. but have cleared them up.

there is one thing that my uncle keeps reminding me, is that on my great grandfathers birth certificate is a copy of deeds to a manor in england.

when i rang my uncle tonight he was adement that i am on the wrong track and that he and our great aunt are telling the truth..  i am just about to pull my hair out with this whole business.
as for the statue.. i dont know... he was meant to be a famous doctor.. could of been dentist i have no idea
i dont have the money to buy all the certificates needed.. and its a real hassle working out how many aussie dollars i would need for the english one .. i think i might google a converter lol
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, the birth certificate will not contain any title deeds to anything, so I'm not sure what your uncle means by that.

Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Aussie mum,

I had that same fight with my mum and they will be telling the truth but it will be a truth of a story they were told.  I wonder how many generations it would take ot start a new one and that becoming a 'truth' in the family.

If you cant afford all the certificates ask for lookups from parish registers as they give a lot of the same information.  Ancestry may be of help but that is expensive to subscribe to.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP