Author Topic: Harley Street Wheatley  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
Re: Harley Street Wheatley
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
no annie i dont know what he means by that as i know it doesnt normally contain anything other then normal birth certificates.. but maybe it was some details to a deed of a house or something.
(maybe handwritten or something along those lines)
all i know is that my great grandfather had to go to a special place and tell them his name and he was entitled to recieve a lot of money.
apparently his father was a remittence man.  Henry john (my ggrandfather) went down to the docks with his father (james charles john burram wheatley) (my gggrandfather) and would watch as tea chests or boxes of stuff was taken off of the ship.
Henry john was the 8 person in western australia to buy a car. went to his lawyers office and came back with a car.  he was a hard working man but he also had a wife and 7 kids so it was not within his normal means to buy one. (lol no he didnt steal it) (and was not in some shady deal) but because of his name he just had to show that he was related to James Charles John Burram Wheatley and he was entitled to money.
i myself arent interested in that part its probably long gone by now but i would like to connect my australian family with a family in england. i know its there somewhere but .. dont know how to look for it.
James mothers name is Elizabeth Burram and her fathers name is John Burram. but i dont know how to find Elizabeths mothers name.. i so far have found parish records for her wedding only.  (1849)
i dont have birth or death records for James and Elizabeth.

rob u should of seen my families faces when i told them we had a convict in the family lol  these days my kids think its something awesome that they can say at show and tell ....  had my nan been alive she would never have believed me because she always said we were blue blooded.
i actually have a subscription to ancestry.com but i am not sure what i should be looking up.

basically after the 1880 census the family (apart from the one i know that came to australia) disappeared off of the face of the earth.  so any suggestions on how to find them would be greatly appreciated.

Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 January 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
HI

William H Wheatley born circa 1855 Whitechapel  the dentist appears in the 1891 with Mum Elizabeth age 67 widow Living on own means born Thurne Norfolk and a sister going by the name of Agnes Wheatley bn circa 1853 Whitechapel. Agnes I think should be Sarah.  I'd say it was the same family.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 January 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Wendy  thank u so much for finding this information for me i sooo appreciate it. My Aunty Lena (whos 93 ) really wanted to know this information,  so i appreciate you helping me like this.

now that i have the brother out the way. 

i have to find williams grandfather.  his name was william too.  if i knew some of his siblings or even his father i am sure it would connect me to other wheatley family trees.  if i wanted to find out when he was born ( somewhere in the late 1780's roughly) where would i go.
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 January 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
HI

I can't help with info on William Wheatley snr sorry.  But I can tell you that William Henry Wheatley the dentist died 14/6/1900 in Essex and he left a will.  If you go the following website and clik on Advanced Search and enter the name of William Henry Wheatley in the exact phrase box then look for the one dated November 1900 you can then view the details of where he lived.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 January 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks wendy for the information on William Henry Wheatley. 
i really appreciate all ur help.   it is the right wheatley as Sarahs middle name was agnes  thank u for confirming this for me.

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Well, the birth certificate will not contain any title deeds to anything, so I'm not sure what your uncle means by that.

I have since found out that a title was glued onto the back of my great great grandfathers wedding certificate and that my uncle is going to contact the lawyers office where it is being held when he comes over next week

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Henry Wheatley, a dentist, who worked at 120 Harley St around the turn of the century (he appears at www.historicaldirectories.org in 1895 and 1899 directories).

http://books.google.com/ shows him (search for "Wheatley, William Henry", as L.D.S. Eng and Glas. at the same address in 1892. Perhaps someone can find him in 1891.  I don't think he's the same as William Henry Wheatley the brother of James Charles John Burram Wheatley as by 1881 he's still living with James and Elizabeth and his occupation is joiner.

Perhaps the family got mixed up between two William Henry Wheatleys.

Google Maps streetview allows you to "walk" virtually along Harley St, and there's really no place to have a statue but it could have of course been in a property or somewhere close to Harley Street and not actually in the street itself.

Some work has been done here on the family, who seem to have come from Staffordshire: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,424411.0.html

I do have to wonder how your uncle knew, just from seeing a statue in London, that you were related to this man. Most tales get bigger with the telling.  There are references to some very early Wheatley's in London who were surgeons:
http://www.usgennet.org/family/bliss/features/2002/may/pages1419.htm (Richard, barber-surgeon in London, b. 1692)

Even if you do find what might be him you could spend a long time trying to find a connection which may or may not exist. I don't think it's to your advantage to expend a lot of effort in this direction.

Mmy uncle already knew of the statue  before he went to england. because his great grandfather used to tell him all about it. ( it was his great grandfathers brother.

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I am now looking for any other members of this branch of the wheatley family. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to go about this please let me know

i am looking for James Wheatley  born 1812 in Walsall
and for his father William Wheatley ( i do not know when or where he was born, but know his name from James Wheatleys marriage record.  I would think he was born in the late 1700's
If anyone could help i would appreciate it

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked at sites like GenesReunited to see if there are others searching the Wheatley family?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk