Author Topic: Harley Street Wheatley  (Read 9750 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Harley Street Wheatley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Stan,

There are two Wheatley's in Nottingham North and South, there is one in Doncaster which I live in  there is another in Hampshire another in Oxford another in Halifax and probably more I couldn't find so I would think the OS site is not picking them all up.

Having checked the OS site yes it is and also a couple I didnt mention.  There are actually 30 items with Wheatley in the name on the OS site

Rob

WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I only decided to mention the villages not all the places :) The Oxford Names Companion has three entries:
Wheatley, Oxford which was Hwatelega in 1163
Wheatley Lane, Lancashire, which was Watelei in 1086 (DB)
Wheatley North, and Wheatley South, Nottinghamshire, Wateleie in 1086 (DB)

There are 39 at http://www.digital-documents.co.uk/cgi-bin/get_placename.pl?element1=wheatley&element2=

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Checking the Medical Register may assist in finding the elusive doctor.

From what you say, Tracey, he could be the generation of your great grandparents or your great great grandparents.  So Dr Wheatley would be mid 19th century.  The only Dr Wheatley that I can find at the moment lived in Carlisle, Cumberland.

Is there a Harley Street somewhere in Australia and perhaps this is where a statue of him may be found?  Present day occupants of Harley Street in London are unlikely to know of residents in the 19th century.  What about directories?  You can search them here:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

From a quick skim, nothing in 1882.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

my uncle went to england on a holiday quite a few years ago and actually saw the statue. 
It may not be there now due to the time difference but i do know that it existed.
its definately on Harley street. (not actually on the street so to speak) but along the street somewhere.
i have no idea what u mean by LMA.
i have been told we can trace our family branch to the doomsday book, but at this stage i want to keep looking for the doctor.
this man could of been born about 1760 onwards..
it could of been earlier i dont know but i will keep looking for him. thank you Nell for at least trying to focus on finding my ancestor as that is the real priority.

i actually believe him to be either williams brother or uncle.. so it could be dated back earlier. but as i said i am not sure. i will just keep going and asking people in the hopes that there will be someone out there who will be able to help me.
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
LMA = London Metropolitan Archives
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07sf/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The UK medical registers are available to search from 1859 onwards, the Irish from a little warlier (IIRC). If your Wheatley was registered as a doctor before this time, I don't know how you would find his registration details.

If he is commemorated with a statue as a medical doctor, then I'd expect some disease to be named after him and nothing springs to mind at this moment (though of course there might be an eponymous disease that hasn't been called thus for the last 200 years!)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Henry Wheatley, a dentist, who worked at 120 Harley St around the turn of the century (he appears at www.historicaldirectories.org in 1895 and 1899 directories).

http://books.google.com/ shows him (search for "Wheatley, William Henry", as L.D.S. Eng and Glas. at the same address in 1892. Perhaps someone can find him in 1891.  I don't think he's the same as William Henry Wheatley the brother of James Charles John Burram Wheatley as by 1881 he's still living with James and Elizabeth and his occupation is joiner.

Perhaps the family got mixed up between two William Henry Wheatleys.

Google Maps streetview allows you to "walk" virtually along Harley St, and there's really no place to have a statue but it could have of course been in a property or somewhere close to Harley Street and not actually in the street itself.

Some work has been done here on the family, who seem to have come from Staffordshire: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,424411.0.html

I do have to wonder how your uncle knew, just from seeing a statue in London, that you were related to this man. Most tales get bigger with the telling.  There are references to some very early Wheatley's in London who were surgeons:
http://www.usgennet.org/family/bliss/features/2002/may/pages1419.htm (Richard, barber-surgeon in London, b. 1692)

Even if you do find what might be him you could spend a long time trying to find a connection which may or may not exist. I don't think it's to your advantage to expend a lot of effort in this direction.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Google Maps streetview allows you to "walk" virtually along Harley St, and there's really no place to have a statue

Yes, I suddenly thought of streetview and made the "walk" late this afternoon  ;)  No statues on show or even a place for one.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 02:09 GMT (UK) »
thank u Annie and Stan for ur help i will look into what u have told me

many thanks
Tracey Kelly
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!