Author Topic: census subscription offer intelligence (mods possible 'sticky'?)  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: census subscription offer intelligence (mods possible 'sticky'?)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 January 10 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Nick

I transcribe for Ancestry and I looked up info about the discount and it said
something along the lines of it was only renewals that were discounted.
Am I muddled?

Joy

Well, it's not easy to find actual details of these discounts, because they appear to be playing them down now.  All I can tell you is that I had to phone Ancestry because there was a problem with my membership - it had actually run out, and was not automatically renewed because my last subscription had been topped up by a 6-month top-up with the purchase of Family Tree Maker Platinum.

Anyway, I phoned Ancestry, and I renewed my subscription, and the young lady said "Please hold on one moment, I'll just get a price for you", and when she returned a couple of minutes later, she said that because I was a WAP keyer, I could have a 15% discount.  I have to say that Ancestry has excellent customer services - their people are very polite and helpful.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 January 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Nick - I haven't been doing it long so perhaps will wait awhile.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 January 10 04:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks like it is profitable for any subscriber to also maintain a 'free' account to .com.au (also .co.uk and even.com if you have the world membership) through which you will be notified about such offers. in this case 20% which is more than that offered to transcribers to renew for all their efforts !

It does mean you need to cancel your existing subscription (just 2 weeks left on mine) and I noticed in the 'conditions' it doesn't mention pro-rata refund - i think it used to so perhaps they are onto this ?

FindMyPast have a standard 20% off for renewals which if you think about it just drives the price down anyway - who pays full ?

Thank you drodgers34 for this.  Received this email several weeks ago and thought this was for my existing account 20% off the $450.  Now realise this is for the 14 day trial version opened a while ago using a different email address.  Trial version was used and a subscription was not taken after this.  Certainly is a saving compared to resubscribing to an existing account.  Ancestry au seems to offer very little in the way of rewarding for existing subscribers.  There is a reduction for first time users but not much in the way of discounts for existing customers.
My current account ends early February.  Will take up the offer using another email address and cancel existing account.  Will not cause major hassles as site is used largely for research.  
Regards Kaybron

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 January 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Best offer I've come across is this:

Family Tree Maker 2010 World Edition at £99, but if you buy and on the checkout page enter the code FTMWORLD50 you get it for £50.

This gives you 6 months Ancestry Worldwide subscription.

Don't know about delivery to Australia though...   :-\

It is a genuine offer, I've bought it, received it and activated the subscription.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 January 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Nick - I haven't been doing it long so perhaps will wait awhile.

Joy

I've actually found a link to the discount terms....

http://landing.ancestry.com/wap/learnmore.aspx

click on the underlined words on the page.  You need to maintain an average of 900+ records a quarter to qualify.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 January 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Nick. I also transcribe for the pilot of family search and it is a much more
user friendly database (is that the term?) than Ancestry.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 January 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't take long to do the required number of keys for the discount, I did it in 3 days... (only a couple of hours a day).  I will say, select the database you want to work on carefully, some are harder than others!
 I shall continue to do some at a more leisurely pace but I'll wait till my FindMyPast sub is up before renewing Ancestry.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.