Author Topic: census subscription offer intelligence (mods possible 'sticky'?)  (Read 5359 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: census subscription offer intelligence (mods possible 'sticky'?)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 January 10 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

With a worldwide subscription it doesn't matter which Ancestry you subscribe through you will access the same databases, I think the only difference is the Home Page which is geared to the country you have subscribed through.

If you want one of the lesser subscriptions then you have to consider what access you want. If you want for example access to Australian records you would have to subscribe through .com.au, subscribing through .co.uk won't give you access to Australian records.

Andy

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 10 04:12 GMT (UK) »
has anyone had success getting the 1 or 3 months 'free' which come with FTM added to their subscription ? That might be the approach I take if there are no offers in the offing

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 10 08:23 GMT (UK) »
i think the best way, unless you have a tree on there. is to sign in using a different email and a new username. this will seem like a new user to them and you will get any deals they are offering.

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 January 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Useful replies - thanks. 

I find it hard to compare exactly what each site offers.
Does UK worldwide have as good coverage of Australian records such as ekectoral rolls, convicts, immigration etc?

Judith

I have a UK Worldwide sub (I live in the UK), and I can log into ancestry.com (US), ancestry.ca (Canada), ancestry.com.au (Australia), ancestry.de (Germany), ancestry.fr (France), ancestry.se (Sweden), jiapu.cn (China), as well as ancestry.co.uk

This gives as good an access as those who actually live in those countries.  When I'm investigating Austrailian or American ancestors, I often find searching easier if I go to the actual country sites.

Incidentally, you can get a 10 to 15% discount on Ancestry membership if you volunteer as a "keyer" (transcriber) in the Ancestry World Arhives Project (there is a link to this on the Ancestry home page).

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 January 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for assistance guys.

I have another account registered woith ancestry.com.au - with no subscription. They sent me a 20% off offer which expires 17th jan.

Catch is it is for new subscribers only. You can make yourself an editor to your old account's public trees but som things are a little different - especially where you have linked to census entries etc

heres the oiffer

http://www.ancestry.com.au/dynamic/reguser_ceo?sssdmh=dm13.231423&o_iid=42029&o_lid=42029

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 10 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip Nick, so much easier when you know how ;D

Quote from: Nick29 link=t
[quote

I have a UK Worldwide sub (I live in the UK), and I can log into ancestry.com (US), ancestry.ca (Canada), ancestry.com.au (Australia), ancestry.de (Germany), ancestry.fr (France), ancestry.se (Sweden), jiapu.cn (China), as well as ancestry.co.uk

This gives as good an access as those who actually live in those countries.  When I'm investigating Austrailian or American ancestors, I often find searching easier if I go to the actual country sites.

Incidentally, you can get a 10 to 15% discount on Ancestry membership if you volunteer as a "keyer" (transcriber) in the Ancestry World Arhives Project (there is a link to this on the Ancestry home page).

GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Nick

I transcribe for Ancestry and I looked up info about the discount and it said
something along the lines of it was only renewals that were discounted.
Am I muddled?

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 January 10 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Drodgers34

I have had success with the free subscription through FTM - good value and a cheaper
option.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 January 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you drodgers34 for this.  Received this email several weeks ago and thought this was for my existing account 20% off the $450.  Now realise this is for the 14 day trial version opened a while ago using a different email address.  Trial version was used and a subscription was not taken after this.  Certainly is a saving compared to resubscribing to an existing account.  Ancestry au seems to offer very little in the way of rewarding for existing subscribers.  There is a reduction for first time users but not much in the way of discounts for existing customers.
My current account ends early February.  Will take up the offer using another email address and cancel existing account.  Will not cause major hassles as site is used largely for research.  
Regards Kaybron