Author Topic: Looking for Rev WOOD of ?Walpole Chapel 1748  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Rev Wood of ?Walpole Chapel 1748
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Shaun- that works much better with my biology calculations!!!
Lets lock in 1749 then!!

Kylie B

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie,
 As John Meadows was the only child of Sam & Mary born in the period 1 Jan - 24 March I suspect the query as to whether he was born in 1748 or 1749 is more to do with the change from the Julian to Gregorian calendar than a mistranscription.
Samuel Wood was minister at the Dissenting Meeting House in Framlingham 1740 to 1756. The list of his children's baptisms are listed  together in the Fram records under the heading  'The Children of Saml & Mary Wood born at Framlingham'. Given the way in which they appear in the book, the children may well have been bap. at Walpole Independent Chapel (later k/a Congregational).  Samuel & Abigail were baptised by 'my Father Wood', Sarah & Philip by 'my 'cous. Wood', Mary & Thomas 'by myself' and John Meadows by 'Mr Crompton'. As Rev Samuel Wood's father was Samuel Wood & he also had a cousin Dr Samuel Wood of Norwich, & there was a Rev Wood minister to the dissenting congregation in Rendham (abt 5 mls from Fram) at this time (wonder if it was the father of SW?) it would appear you have a lot of Woods to go through to find a tree..ha! ha!
Within the main record of baptisms there are two other Woods, (n/k if these are related)
Mary d. of Sam & Mary Wood of Framlingham b. 2 June 1751 & bap July 1 following.
Thomas s. of Thomas Wood & Sarah of Dallinghoe, Farmer b. 25 Oct 1787 bap 24 Dec 1787.
Denominational boundaries within Dissenting congregations were not so hard & fast at this time so the original dissenting chapels & meeting houses which  now are United Reform/Congregational/Unitarian/Baptist may have been interacting with each other. e.g. Walpole (Independent) & Framlingham(Presbyterian/Independant/Baptist)
Rev Meadows was minister to the Dissenting Congregation at Needham Market and it may be worth noting that in the 1700s the principal parish church where marriages would have taken place was at Barking: the church in Needham Market was a Chapel of Ease.
Just as an aside, in 1755 Joseph Priestley (discoverer of Oxygen & Unitarian Minister,) came to Needham Market as an assistant & potential replacement to the elderly Rev John Meadows. Eventually he was kicked out because of his Arian beliefs!
Good wooding!
Hephzibah

PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hephzibah
Thanks for all that info....I have to admit to getting very confused now with far too many Samuel Wood and John Meadows!!

It seems Samuel Wood Jnr (minister in Framlington) married Mary Meadows (youngest dau of Rev John Meadows).

His father was also Rev Samuel Wood of Woodbridge- he died in 1748, and a nephew Samuel Wood preached at his funeral sermon (presumably he is the cousin Wood who baptised some of the children)......but I dont know who his father was (ie. the brother of Samuel Wood Snr), and I dont know who was the wife of Samuel Wood Snr.

So my hunt is now for:
Wife of Samuel Wood Snr (minister of Woodbridge)
Parents of Samuel Wood Snr, who was born in 1683
Siblings of Samuel Wood Snr- including a brother who then had son Samuel Wood of Norwich!

Then I will try to decipher the Meadows from the Woods!!
Kylie B

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie - still skipping across the Meadows & into the Wood!

I'm sure you have found it but just in case you haven't, the Woodbridge Quay Meeting House records are all on the internet. Bad news is that only the ministers & burials are listed in the 18th century. Samuel Wood was minister 1736 - 1748. In the burials there is a Martha Wood buried 21 April 1739 but she may have been a widow which counts her out as wife of Sam snr.
Just to note, it's FramlingHAM - Framlington is, I think, in the USA!
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Kylie, I should be able to find time to carry out some lookups tomorrow.  By the way, I have been researching Fram since 1971 (when I became engaged to husband).

The names you are researching are not uncommon in the area, I have come across a couple of Woods and Meadows in our family through the years.

Back soon with some PRs.   ;D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
From Boyds marriage index

1744  /     WOOD       SAM  /     MEADOWS       MARY  /     BARKING     /  SUFFOLK
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 January 10 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue- thanks very much for that marriage...I have never heard of Boyds before- where can I search it??

Hi Pat- thank you so much, I am really looking forward to seeing what the PR's have for me, and am so grateful for your time. THanks for the link to the Fram page too- it looks like a lovely village town. Pity I am halfway across the world as I would very much like to visit. I look forward to ANYTHING more you can tell me about my Wood and Meadows families and their links to Fram!!

Kylie B

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 10 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I have just been re-reading the funeral sermon of Rev Samuel Wood, who died on 28 Sept 1748.

It gives his age as 65- meaning he was born about 1683.
It mentions a sister departing this life suddenly and unexpectedly just a week before Samuel died....
And it seems to infer, from its very brief referrals to the family, that his wife was still alive....but I can't be absolutely sure.

So what I really need now is a baptism for son- Samuel Wood Jnr- to confirm his mothers name,
And Samuel Wood Snr's own baptism from circa 1683 for his parents, which might then allow us to find some siblings, inlcuding the brother who named his son Samuel too!!

Pat- Are any of these events I am looking for amongst the Fram PR's you have?
Otherwise what parishes might we need to look at- Lavenham? Barking?

Kylie B

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 10 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Unsurprisingly no help from the PRs for St Michael and All Angels - so far :-)

Just one WOODS at the moment in baptisms
on 11th September 1740 a daughter Mary to Thomas and Dorothy Woods

http://www.congregational.org.uk/
the web site for the UK Congregational churches

http://www.dwlib.co.uk/dwlib/index.html
knowing that Dr William's Library is the place with holdings on non-conformist protestant records, I tried to see if any help there for you - however

http://www.dwlib.co.uk/congregational/collections/union.html
this page says that no records are available only for a handful of London churches

Will keep trying  :D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?