Author Topic: Gorringe Park House in Mitcham  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gorringe Park House in Mitcham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Gorringe Park House seems to have been run by the 'Barbican Mission to the Jews' whose aim was 'to seek to promote the propagation of the gospel among Jews, and the welfare of the spiritual life in Hebrew Christians according to the protestant and evangelical faith'. 

http://www.cwi.org.au/index.php?id=53

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nasnas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda,
Thanks for the information. this is interesting because I found Gorridge Park as the address for an adult being baptised.
nasnas

Offline JAJ51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 11 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi nasnas

Yes, I am talking about Martin Goldstein, who is my great grandfather.  His son, Herbert, from his first marriage to Ellen Rose was my grandmother.  He remarried an Edith Blanche Taylor in 1900.  If we are researching the same family it would be great to get in touch...are you related to him as well?

I am away for the weekend, back on Tuesday so may not be able to reply, although I have access to my internet over the phone.

Best wishes

Jenny

Offline nasnas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 October 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenny,
How amazing. He is my great grandfather too but via the second wife Edith.  I have spent ages researching him and have always got stuck with the first marriage to Ellen.  I always keep coming back to him hoping I will find another piece of the jigsaw.  I had made a tentative connection to Bavaria but never could be sure So this is very exciting. I look forward to hearing from you.  But I may not be able to get on line on Saturday. We can also send a personal messages on this site which are
 private.
Best wishes
nasnas

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 October 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Another person at that address:

Lipshytz    Christlieb Traugott    Gorringe Park House, Mitcham     Place of birth  Russia    May-05    09/06/05 p 30    
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sherry/Nat%20K%20&%20L.htm

Another reference:
"The pastor introduced him to Gorringe Park House Mitcham, a Home for about twenty young Jews where he met another Hebrew Christian, J. Yoelson-Taffin, also from Riga. They became lifelong friends working together in Jewish mission. Young Mark attended a church in London pastored by an evangelical who taught him that Jesus was not only the Jewish Messiah, but also Mark Kagan's Lord. As a result he was baptised.

Gorringe Park House belonged to the Barbican Mission, through which a large number of Jewish young men were brought to Christ. Mark went to work with that Mission and was put in charge of their work in Whitechapel, where he continued for thirteen years. Later he transferred to the Mildmay Mission to the Jews, which was more evangelical. "
http://www.voicesforchrist.org/bios/kagan_mark.html

PM

Offline nasnas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 October 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Pastmagic,
Thanks for your information, it is very helpful and gives me a lot more insight into that time.
nasnas

Offline JAJ51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 October 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi nasnas
Did you get my private message? Doing this on my phone so more difficult to see what I am doing. I am so excited re this. Jenny