Author Topic: 1911 Census  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 Census
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Do we know how complete the 1911 census is for Derbyshire, Long Eaton to be more precise. I am unable to find a Walter Taylor (b abt 1870) living in Long Eaton. I looked up the street I know he lived on in 1919 which was 74 College Street. But when I address search for College Street, 74 is missing.

I have tried various wildcard name searchs but nothing comes up. I have no other info for him (other than father was also Walter) and both were 'joiners' by occupation, so I am only assuming that he was in Long Eaton in 1911.

Any ideas?

Thanks,  Ashley

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have the information that Walter and father were both joiners from???

The only Walter c 1871 with father Walter I can find was b Nottingham and father (in 1901) was in the Hosiery trade -and Walter jnr was a clerk???

Did he marry??

There must be some snippet of info -why are you seeking him??

Who was he living with in 1919???

If the info you have is from a mrriage cert, then who were witnesses????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have the information that Walter and father were both joiners from???

Did he marry??

There must be some snippet of info -why are you seeking him??

Who was he living with in 1919???

If the info you have is from a mrriage cert, then who were witnesses????

Suz

Thanks for looking Suz, I did see that Walter too. He is my Grt Granddad, the only info I have about him other than his name was from the marriage certificate to my Grt Nan from the 1919 Marriage Cert it lists him as 49 Bachelor, Joiner 74 College St, Long Eaton with a father (deceased) who was a joiner. My Nan died this year so we don’t know where her dad was from, if he was local or not.  One witness was my grt Nan's dad Fred Smedley, the other I don't know looks like it says Phyllis but I can't read the surname, but it's not one I recognise. I am not even sure when he died, I do have a pic of my Nan and Granddad marrying in 1945 where he was there so I know it was after that. There was a Walter Taylor from Basford district that died in 1952 so I may take a gamble and order that death certificate to try and get his exact DOB and birth location.

Ashley

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley
I don't think you will find place or date of birth on 1952 certificate.
Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
For some unknown reason 74 College Street Long Eaton is missing from the 1911 census. The houses either side have census returns.
I had a look on the council tax page & it seems to be there in some form today.
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Is it worth contacting the National Archives to ask if they know that number 74 is missing?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact/default.htm

Maybe he was a dissenter and wouldn't complete the form   8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the dog ate it

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
When we fill in census returns today we are left with a form to fill in & it is collected later.
In 1911 where householders left with a form to fill in or did the enumerator call & stay with the family while they filled in their census returns.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
It does say Number of Schedule (To be filled up by the enumerator after collection)