Author Topic: Thomas CRAIKE - Birth and Marriage - - - - COMPLETED  (Read 7674 times)

Offline inept

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas CRAIKE - Birth and Marriage - - - - COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
We are having difficulty establishing the birth, marriage date and parentage of Thomas.

We believe his son Thomas emigrated from Sprouston, Roxburghshire (Scotland) to Australia via New Zealand prior to the 1861 census, arriving in Victoria in June 1862.

Prior to moving to Scotland, we believe Thomas (senior) married Margaret MacDougal (b 1804/1805 in Kelso, Roxburghshire) and baptized three children (Rachel Mary, Frances and William) at St Saviour, Southwark, Surrey in 1825, 1827 & 1831.  Further births of Thomas, Helen, Charles and a second William occurred in Scotland.

In both the 1851 and 1861 (Scotland) Census Thomas stated he was born in England, and was a farmer.

From both census dates, we believe he was born in 1793.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

inept

PS or those interested in viewing the above details in GUI tree format, go to    www.tayles.com.au   click on the [HERE] link, search for Craike (top RH corner), click on Craike, Thomas (1793), then click on [Tree].   [Notes] displays the census details we have on Thomas.
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CRAIKE - Birth and Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

From the official govt website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (a ppv site)  there is only one 23 page will for a Thomas Craike between 1850 and 1901

CRAIKE THOMAS 17/05/1862 RESIDING AT EASTER SOFTLAW, NEAR KELSO   JEDBURGH SHERIFF COURT SC62/44

This would cost £5.00 to download - purchased via a 'cart' as most mainstream sites

There is only one Thomas Craike death in Scotland between 1855 and 2006 for someone born +/- 2 yrs of 1793, he dies in 1861. 

To download this entry you will have to use 'credits'.  The entry will gives wifes name and both parents names  - if known to whom registered the death.  You can get 10 free credits by registering att the following site (spam free).

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/signup/register/

If you decide to buy credits these are bought in £6.00 lots which allow for the download of up to 5 bmds.

Regards,   Steve  :O)

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve.

May I ask if all downloads must be done in one session, or can I log in several times?

inept
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
The death entry can be done in a one - will take less than a min.

The will,if downloaded once paid for, remains as yours indefinitely and can be downloaded as and when.  A minor drawback is that it has to be downloaded page by page -assuming he's yours...

Any queries please post.

Regards,  Steve.... :O)

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Steve.

Can the 5 pre-purchased credits be used over several sessions?

inept

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
hello

As mentione din the first response,

Scotlands People has 2 methods for payments.  For wills - place item in cart - pay for it, costs £5.00 Oncve paid for download when you want...

For bmds and copies of census records.  there is a minimum spend of £6.00 which buys 30 credits.  These have to be accessed over a certain period - best to check on the site as to what it is.   I never had a problemwith that as  of I've spent a fortune on the site as I've copies of all bmds/census records of all relatives on my trees.

If I were you, I'd avail myself of the 10 free credits from Ancestral Scotland and download the death entry from Scotlands Poeple.  SP is free to register

I know it's a bit of a bind having to register with 2 sites, but it appears to be the only option. 

Good luck.

Regards,  Steve

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 10 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Sincere thanks for your detailed reply, Steve.

I'll get to work on it.

Regards

inept

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Bad news - of a sort. 

Died on 1st Nov 1861

If you can please pm me your e-mail address - I'll forward the death entry - , which gives parents names - John Craike (farmer) and Rachel     ? Crosies?

The bad news although it says he is married - it doesn't give his wifes name  - :O(  (wifes name is usually given).

Death was given by son in law.  Away to find out when Mgt MacDougal died....

Regards,   Steve   :O)

FYI - He's the only Thomas Craike who dies in Scotland.... from 1855 to 2006.

Just back of SP - no sign of a Margaret Craike - other name Mac or McDougal dying in Scotland.  There are only 2 Margaret Craikes who die in Scotland 1855 to 2006, neither are yours'.

Looks as though a fingers crossed and buy the will   .......

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 January 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Steve, from the details you have found on Thomas, this looks a possible christening entry for him on IGI:

THOMAS CRAIKE Christening: 19 JUN 1789 Hovingham, Yorkshire - parents John and Rachel

A potential sibling:

WILLIAM CRAIKE Christening: 20 OCT 1787 Hovingham, Yorkshire

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk